Freelance or Full-Time?

adamblan

A little about my background, I’ve been designing graphics since 1999, websites since 2002, as a kind of hobby. I know my way around LAMP, xhtml, css, and have been working most recently with as3 and javascript.
My biggest problem it seems is that I’m self taught, and even if I could afford to go to school, it seems stupid to pay to attend classes that I could probably teach…
Now I find myself in a position where I’m strapped for cash, the my job is cutting hours, and I need to find work. I’ve decided that I’m through messing around, and rather than reach for the local paper to find another dead-end job, I picked up the laptop and re-designed my site. I’m going to follow my dream and design full time, one way or another :D
I’m pretty sure I could pick up some freelance work, but think it would probably be best to work with a company first. I’ve sent my resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, & link to my site to dozens of postings in various cities, but still haven’t received more than a single form letter in response. So before I run off to the presses to have my cards printed and pass them out like candy, I need some advice from anyone who can offer it…
Should I keep trying to get a job with another company, or forget about working for someone else and just go freelance?
Do you have an opinion as to whether it’s better to work with a company or independently?
Do you think that you need a degree to design?

walkingbird

DO both keep up your work as a freelancer and keep applying for jobs. It is a hard industry to get into even if yo have school. I have taken web design in school and i don't have a steady job yet. Pass you business cards out like candy

AE7

I am in Dallas and we cannot keep the work away... We pass business cards out like candy, as stated above, we do not have an online portfolio site but, somehow the jobs keep rolling in. I do the coding for a graphic design artist, which is my stepfather, he tells me how he wants it to look, I code it and do all functionality.

We mostly deal with new products, like people with a fresh patented item will come to us. We just did box art and design, a photo shoot, and a site for a guy with a new product. This particular guy called around to different designers and got quotes. We did it less expensive and had a larger portfolio. These ppl out here with a portfolio of 3 customers who think they're professional and charge a ($5000+)premium price just because the took a web mastering class at a community college are nuts.

You don't need a degree to design, you need a reputable portfolio. I don't have a degree, yet, I am not old enough but I am backing up someone who has a degree and an awesome portfolio. Go freelance and get a regular job, too, it's not hard to balance, I've seen it done.

Best of luck...

joe

If you do decide to go freelance, you should look into advertising.....I would suggest AT&T Yellowpages & Yellowpages.com....(Sorry for the shameless plug), but in all seriousness.....when I was a sales rep with the company I would talk to a lot of people who had a skill, but did not know how to run the business and they would have a hard time running their own business and doing the work. I would suggest taking a marketing class or two at the local community college before going freelance just so you can learn about how to get customers. Marketing is the key to becoming successful, not being good at something. If you can't take some classes then go talk to some successful small business owners would be my other bit of advice.

walkingbird

Doing some work for some no-profits can get the word out about your business. If you do a good job the non-profits will talk you up. People like people who do good things

adamblan

Thanks for the response everyone! Walkingbird, good luck with your own career & thanks for the advice - actually, I did a freelance job last year that I got by responding to a non-profit :)

I think I'll most likely take your advice and do freelance around my other job - it's super laid back, has a great ski schedule, and is 2 minutes from my house anyway...
I'll still keep my eyes open for opportunities, but I think it probably wouldn't be worth the frustration/sense of rejection that comes with fighting off the masses of green graduates with freshly minted design diplomas...

- One kid I talked to, graduating from Berkely in design this year, was looking over my shoulder as I was laying out a page in Photoshop & asked me if I was going to, like, use css. I smacked him with esp.;)

pobi

it depends.

if you think you can teach then go teach. in that case you can share your knowledge. but if you want to handle your time you can go freelance. and if you want to experience the corporate world and how to deal with the professionals why not work in a company. the decision still depends on you goodluck. :D

Spancerlim

I think you should do full time Job in a company, in my opnion it would be better, Coz while working with a company you'll get support whereas in freelance work there is a less chance of getting any help.

justrobin

Both freelance and full-time are great. Coz I am doing both. If you go as freelance, make it sure your client or buyer offers you a stable payment. One that has good company standing and would guarantee a long work. If you like to apply for a company, make it sure you have certifications of trainings and seminars from accrediting organizations. This will give an edge over other apllicants.

ahojvole

I would say freelance because the money can be good yet you can manage your own time.
If you start working fulltime you will be dedicated to the job and to the job only