Free Webhosting: Pros & Cons

kkiilloopp

Everyone's been there, just bought your first domain, want to get started but don't know how. Millions of people opt for paid hosting, which is fine, but if you're just a small time web designer it's not necessary!

I have spent weeks looking for a solution, and having signed up to loads of sites; now feel I have some knowledge of what's good. My website has been running for nearly a year and has had no adverts, no problems, no issues. And yes, I don't pay for hosting.

One of the first hosts I looked at offered hosting at a cost. Yes it was free, but every 6 months or so I had to fill in an advertisement form. They had said 'Free Hosting!' and they hadn't lied; but I wasn't willing to fill out adverts for them. I scrapped that account.

Some other hosts put ads directly onto your website. This is a joke so just avoid them. When looking for free webhosting, make sure they don't try and scam you. i.e. get you to sign up and find out you have to pay to abolish the adverts!

So, it all sounds great, and it is. But there are some drawbacks. If you own a huge company and need lots of space, then free isn't the answer. I mean huge though because I my hosts will give you 1.5gb free! This really should be fine for well, EVERYONE as far as I'm concerned. But as I come from a video background, I know some people will top that if sharing videos. Right then, down to the PROS and CONS.

PROS:
-FREE!
-1500MB!
-No ads! (if you look in the right places)
-100 GB Data Transfer!
-MySQL Databases!
-PHP5 support!
-Website Builder!
-cPanel Control Panel!

CONS:
-Only 1500mb storage (if that dosen't fit you)
-Only 100Gb data transfer (again if that dosen't fit you)

I haven't covered data transfer yet, but 100gb will get you way more than 100,000 visitors a month! So it shouldn't really affect you even if you do video streaming.

Where is Best?
I personally use hosting77. I have now been using them for about a year and never seen any downtime of server problems and there are NO ads!!!

Read more on my website:
http://www.willbell.co.uk/hosting77.php

Or go straight there:
Click Here

XeHSean

CONS:
-Only 1500mb storage (if that dosen't fit you)
-Only 100Gb data transfer (again if that dosen't fit you)

These restraints are just for one company (I'm assuming yours). A user could easily choose a different hosting provider with a greater disk space / bandwidth allocation

Dante

CON: You don't get free reign over your domain name. It is harder for a user to remember website.com than it is website.domainhost.com

WebbyKitteh

I agree with those points completely. My biggest issue with getting a "free domain" or free web hosting is the fact that you don't get NEARLY as much space as you actually need. It can be really irritating for someone that hosts, let's say, a website with their art portfolio. Most websites like that have large videos on them and there's no way a site like freeservers or homestead could hold onto those videos.

Luckily, web hosting and domain names have gotten significantly cheaper over the years.