Free html editor with syntax highlighting?

braveandplucky

Hi, everyone.

I just downloaded NoteTab Light and realized afterwards that I'd misinterpreted the description; it does NOT allow syntax highlighting, which is important to me as a newbie to web design working with existing code. I do love the tabbed file access and general presentation, though.

Can anyone recommend a free program that supports this feature? It doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles, really. They would probably just confuse me. :eek:

Thanks for your help!

Julia

danf

I was gonna suggest plain old FrontPage if you have it.

Notpad++ is very cool though. I haven't used it, but it looks much more feature rich. Maybe it doesn't crash as much as FrontPage either.

art346

Hi'

Google PSpad editor, it has support for almost all programming languages, including html and it's free!

braveandplucky

I downloaded Notepad++ and it does exactly what I need it to! I love the section minimizing feature. :)

Thanks for your help, guys. With such successful advice, I'm sure I'll be plaguing y'all even more in the future!

[Edited to add: The question now is whether to uninstall DreamWeaver 4. My tables-loving, design-view-reliant husband might blow a gasket! Change hurts...]

Last edited:

Havox

I downloaded Notepad++ and it does exactly what I need it to! I love the section minimizing feature. :)

Thanks for your help, guys. With such successful advice, I'm sure I'll be plaguing y'all even more in the future!

[Edited to add: The question now is whether to uninstall DreamWeaver 4. My tables-loving, design-view-reliant husband might blow a gasket! Change hurts...]
Another great feature in Notepad++ is that you can changed the syntax colors to whatever you want. I use a dark theme with a nice clear font that makes coding much easier on the eyes.