Frames & FrontPage

brensec

Yes - FrontPage (Don't say it, I already know...). I still find it a handy tool for pretty basic html site building.

I have a problem with the 'Frames pages' though. Bit difficult to explain but I'll give it a go.

For instance, when you build for 800 x 600 resolution and have the main table width set for say... 755 pixels, it fills the screen quite nicely. No problem. When you change resolution to 1024 x 768, it simply shows the website as a 'smaller' version in the center of the page (provided table is centered, of course).

However, when using the Frames pages, this doesn't occur. The webpage FILLS the entire screen, regardless of the resolution. Why is this and how do I get a Frontpage Frames page to 'resize' so that it shows up as the 'smaller' page in the higher resolution... ??? (without throwing Frontpage out the window... lol)

Hope that's clear enough.

Any help would be wonderful... Thanks

virruss

Frames aren't a good idea! There are many reasons why you should not use frames.

Anyway, if you still want to use them, you may want to set a fixed width to the frames that you don't want to fill the screen. But you should have at least one frame to fill that empty space. That's how it works. I'm going to put here an example of a page using frames in which the middle part, set to 770 pixels (to fit well on a resolution of 800x600) stays centered if you change the resolution to, let's say 1024x768 (switch to HTML mode and paste the following code):

HTML:
<html>

<head>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 3</title>
</head>

<frameset cols="*,770,*">
  <frame name="left">
  <frame name="center">
  <frame name="right">
  <noframes>
  <body>

<p>This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.</p>

</body>
  </noframes>
</frameset>

</html>

Note that I have 3 frames there... The "center" frame has a fixed width (770 pixels) and the "left" and "right" frames have variable width, so they will be used to fill the empty space at the left and at the right of the "center" frame.

In the future, if you are going to use frames again, I advice you to use iframes (internal frames) instead of a regular frames. You have much control.

Create a new HTML file. Switch to HTML mode and put this code between <body> and </body>:

HTML:
<iframe width="420" height="300" name="main_content" src="your_content.htm" frameborder="0" scrolling="yes"></iframe>

It will be much more easy to resize it as you wish... like resizing a picture in your page.

If you have more questions like this... with long explainations, check the forum in my signature. I'm trying to build a little community an I'll be happy to answer all of them there.

Good luck!

Last edited: