Forum-Based Website

cmay88

Hey guys.

I was wondering if any of you gentlemen (or ladies) could point me to a resource(es) to learn how to do forum-based webdesign.

For example:

www.mmo-champion.com

They have a forum, but the homepage has the articles from one part of the forum on it. How is this done?

Thanks!
Clint

dmkeith2

You should use Joomla from Joomla.org with their fireboard component, has a ton of modules that does everything you mentioned above and more.

specialk

I would always be weary about starting a new forum until your website has a lot of traffic. Most people find that forums are really slow starters. Just a suggestion, you can proceed as you see fit.

DesignMachine

I would always be weary about starting a new forum until your website has a lot of traffic. Most people find that forums are really slow starters. Just a suggestion, you can proceed as you see fit.

I agree with this, but if you feel compelled to go ahead with a forum then simplemachines.org is worth a look.

adx

I agree with this, but if you feel compelled to go ahead with a forum then simplemachines.org is worth a look.

Endorsing SMF boards on a site that uses vBullitin, outrageous! ;)
The Simple machines design is pretty nice though :) You should definitely take a look!

Matthew

Hey guys.

www.mmo-champion.com

They have a forum, but the homepage has the articles from one part of the forum on it. How is this done?

Thanks!
Clint

As said above the software is SMF, and MMO-Champion is using a Portal for SMF called TinyPortal. The Portal allows articles on the home page etc. So if you are wanting to start a website like that, it's best to read over the SMF website, or phpBB's website. Which are both great free forum software.

Once you read over and learnt all about forums, and how to install them etc. and after you have installed a forum you can then look into a portal that will be like MMO-Champion.

vBulletin is the best forum software, but unless you are willing to pay a bit of money, it is good just to start with the free software I listed above. There is also a Portal add-on for phpBB and vBulletin.

Hope this helps.
M