Forms Question

Irishkid

I have cretaed a simple form in Dreamweaver and uploaded it to mywebsite. how to I go about adding a button that will collect the information and send it to me via email?

Thanks

qadisha

Forms

Unfortunately it isn't as simple as just adding a button to collect the information and to email it to you. If only it were....
I've tried with .php and my forms were working but were not secure enough. So for the moment I use CoffeeCup Webformbuilder. You can download a free trial copy but after a month or so you have to pay for it (about 30 dollars) but if you're making a number of websites it's worth it. If you're just making one form, build it with the free software.

The Lion

What you need is a 'Forms Handler'...

What your form lacks is a form handler, the server-side component that allows your form (which is client-side) to expedite user data across the web. Do a search on 'FREE Forms Handler' or 'Simple Forms Handler'. The easiest ones to work with are .php scripted. You should come across a ton of example handlers that will allow you to send form info to an e-mail address of your choosing.

Pay special attention to the 'Read me' file that will assuredly accompany your script download, as it will have clear-cut instructions as to where to put your file and how to configure it.

Also, there is no need to use a script that displays a third-party link. Many simple forms handlers are so simple, in fact, that some script writers will promote them for free use covered by the GNU, free software agreement. Their plugs are in the script itself, which your can't touch. But there won't be any links on your site, which keeps things neat and clean. Anything else is a rip-off of your web space. A basic rule of thumb here is that you don't want junk links on your site and you should keep shopping until you find something that is either clean of displaying links or easy to figure out. There's enough out there.

One more thing: Sending info from a form to your e-mail is always a problem with respect to security. If the information to be sent is at all sensitive, be sure to place your form under your SSL Certificate, which will always begin with 'https' as opposed to 'http'. If you haven't installed a certificate on your server or have questions about certificates, simply contact your host company for more info.

Good luck, friend,
The Lion.

Join our free Business Directory. No paid listings; priority to U.S. businesses.

Last edited:

bermuda

There are mainly two ways for having form details dispatched to email addresses, through CHI or PHP scripts.

There are several free and paid versions of both systems on the web. You can even later on search for the image verification scripts to avoid spammers.

Last edited: