Form so client can update website?

TickleMeCthulhu

I'm currently setting up a website for a client who is running a professional recruiting service. He'll need to be able to add new job postings and recently completed job searches. The hard way is to give him annotated html with areas that he can add new job descriptions and then delete them as needed. I just don't see him being able to do this- with many position coming in and out of that html document, the task would eventually be confusing and overwhelming.

I know there is a way, but can someone push me in the right direction for some sort of form that I could implement into his site? I need something that he could use to log in and enter job information- which is as simple as a job description with a link to his email address- and then be able to delete that job when it is taken. The job posting would then appear in a section for current job availabilities. I'm pretty sure that this is pretty basic- just not to me.

The client is NOT html savvy in any way.

- kurt

joe

Probably the best way to do it (if you're wanting the site not to be dynamic) is to write a bit of php (or the scripting language of your choice) that takes what he's entered into the form and writes the specific html to the html file where it needs to go.

If your client doesn't have to worry about his job postings showing up in a google search then you could house all the positions in a db and just grab them all and place them in the page when the page loads. Building a form to place the job information into the db is quite simple and so is pulling it out.

TickleMeCthulhu

Thanks for your quick reply!

I think I should point out that I am a complete noob when it comes to php writing.

So, I need to somehow set up a form that targets a specific area on another page for updates- I got that much...I just don't know how to do that. Do my pages have to be php pages, and not html/htm? If you give me a hint as to what functions I'm employing, I might be able to find a tutorial page on google. As it is, I don't know where to start my search.

I've been googling terms like "updateable" "update" "client" "form" "add" "site" "design".... Actually, I think those terms brought me to this forum. I know it's a commonly used thing that I'm looking for. Maybe, if it has a name- that would really help, too.

abwebdesign

Anymore, what you are trying to do is usually handled by a form entering the information in to a database which is then queried using some type of in-page selector and displayed on a defined page. Using a form to generate HTML is a rarity unless it is database-driven. I cannot offer you any sample code, as I do not use PHP.

Here is a good place to start learning about PHP forms: http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/feedbackphp.shtml

TickleMeCthulhu

Whichever is better- but I don't really know which one that is, so.....whichever turns out to be easier. It sounds like the "write to html" is the easier of the two.

I'm at work right now, drawing some ad, so I haven't had the time to go investigating these leads yet.

Again, thanks for your responses.

Kurt

wetgravy

if you're looking for a cms for your client (which there are hundreds ... literally) just goto http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ and do a search for the features you really want/need in the script.

Also, if you were looking for simple ... zimplicit, movable type, and wordpress are always good for doing sites. Also look into certain things like using twitter for blog updates (just a javascript api you can customize with css) and integrating lesser blogs into site (kubeblog is rather good for that) But i almost always recoment joomla if the person wants to be able to dynamically add/remove pages and/or content ... takes some getting used to ... but it's worth the effort and no real html knowledge is needed since it's a cms meant for publishing.