Fonts on a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

quitejaded

Hey, guys, I am trying to download fonts for the mac.

I have downloaded a font (Verona.sit) and then I put it into the Fonts folder. Pretty much the same way I would have done in Windows.

But, even when I restart Photoshop, my new font, Verona, is not showing up! Does anyone know what I may have done wrong?

Thanks a bunches! <3

dWhite

Make sure it's showing up in the fonts folder. I typically have to do an F5 refresh on the fonts folder to be able to see fonts I just installed, then load up photoshop for it to detect it.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
what type of mac are you using?
I have a powerbook G5 and I use the app called Font Book which comes pre-installed with the OS. This applies the font to all programs.

wade635

did you activate the font? font book is also kinda crumby, have you checked out linotype font explorer?

Barkri12

Font History and Font Formats

There are different font formats - which one should I choose?

OpenType fonts (.OTF) - OpenType is a scalable format for computer fonts that was initially developed by Microsoft™, then later joined by Adobe™ Systems. OpenType fonts were first announced in 1996 and Adobe™ completed conversion of its entire font library to OpenType around the end of 2002. In 2005, there were around 10,000 fonts available in OpenType font format, with Adobe's font library making up under a third of the total. As of 2006, every major font foundry and many minor ones were developing fonts in OpenType font format. TrueType fonts (TT or .TTF) - TrueType is a digital font technology that was designed by Apple™ Computer, and is now used by both Apple (Mac™) and Microsoft (PC) in their operating systems. Microsoft has distributed millions of quality TrueType fonts in thousands of different styles. TrueType fonts offer the highest possible quality on computer screens, printers, and include a wide range of features which make them very easy to use. PostScript Fonts (Type 1) - PostScript fonts predates TrueType by about six years.

First, there were many different font formats for digital fonts, none of which were standardized. Then Apple adopted Adobe's PostScript page description language (PDL) for its Apple LaserWriter printer in 1985. This, combined with the introduction of desktop publishing software, sparked a revolution in page layout technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.