First website ever!

Barzona

I had to put this together for class and this would be the final result. As soon as he's finished grading it, I'll probably change a few things. This is the "playing it safe" version for the sake of my grade. It's still nice to actually have a personal site.

The site.

It was all made in Dreamweaver.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
*sigh*
so they are STILL teaching psd>html slice and dice table garbage?

your teacher is stuck in the dark ages if thats the case.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
cheap school or not. I went to TAFE in newcastle. for the year it cost me $400.
which through centrelink benefits, cost me nothing.

we certainly did not learn table based layouts.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
interest in web design is good, however you'll have to relearn everything you've been taught I suspect.

leroy30

Well as long as you are interested in web design then you are moving forward!

Far beyond my first website for sure. Mind you that was a looong time ago!

If I were you have a crack at rebuilding that page by hand coding it with divs, css rounded corners, css gradients and transparent png images on top. Should be a good exersise to put you more on track!

Also the buttons aren't overly obvious. At first glance they just look like panels. Maybe put a more tradition nav in there up where you've got the home button?

The home button is also not very readable.

Have fun,

Le-roy

AsheSkyler

Looks good design-wise. Not a fan of Flash or the gallery opening in a new window, but some like that kinda thing.

DamienDarwick

Is it just me or is there quite a bit of space in between each item as you scroll down?

I agree that the splice & dice technique is not an entirely great one, its a great place to learn and get started. At least you have some knowledge about how things are placed. But as others have said in order to compete in the profession you will have to drop the table idea and move to div tags & using css.

Edge

Well Dreamweaver can kick out decent code if you're careful with it. When I started off I found split view quite useful.

reverseengineer

Of the many I've reviewed here and for this being your first site ever, this is friggin great! Color scheme = amazing. Clean, straight forward. Keep em coming, you've got the talent.