First web design - constructive criticism welcome

braunshedd

I'll be completely honest, I'm more of a coder than a designer, but I'm hoping to change that around a little
This is the first revision of a website I've put together, and I'm looking for some advice on where to move next from those more worthy than myself
Thank you for looking

What needs to be changed (I'll keep updated with comments from you guys):
*- Icons for tabs need to be made relevant

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XJkh_8E4tRA/UQsNbeECsbI/AAAAAAAABGo/pQclMMEyKQg/s660/design.png

chrishirst

Staff member
I'll be completely honest, I'm more of a coder than a designer, but I'm hoping to change that around a little

Probably not going to work, I've been trying for about twenty years with very little success, I've come to the conclusion that it's different parts of the brain that do those two and my designer genes are in the wash! So I am resigned to the fact that I can take just about any design and turn it into HTML and CSS without requiring any software beyond GIMP and Geany (or Notepad)

notarypublic

I think you're off to a great start! Looks very clean and polished.

Probably not going to work, I've been trying for about twenty years with very little success, I've come to the conclusion that it's different parts of the brain that do those two and my designer genes are in the wash! So I am resigned to the fact that I can take just about any design and turn it into HTML and CSS without requiring any software beyond GIMP and Geany (or Notepad)

Have you thought about the interactive aspect at all? I find myself in a similar boat - my photoshop/design talent has withered from lack of use the last few years, and I enjoy development quite a bit more than design. That said, making interactive content that glows, fades, pops, etc. seems to be considered more of a "design" feature than development, but I've really found a niche there.

Websynergi

Its difficult to visualize the site live from a static image, it looks as though some of the text will be kind of big. Is kubix the site name? If so the site name and the product name (soma cube) look pretty similar.

Edge

I think the look and feel is ok but the layout is kind of weird - just a small square. Expand the layout and put in other information e.g. about, contact us etc. Put in one or two social media buttons and just flesh things out a bit.