First-time Web designer

hamiltop

I just started doing web design (for companies... I've run some of my own sites before). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the site I've got so far...

honestly, any critique is welcome... I'm not much of a graphic designer... more of a programmer.

www.sbfclawgroup.com/test

Thanks in advance...

JMCDesigner

Some of your menu pops out of its button when viewed in IE 7, and your main content has a scroll bar that appears. The javascript on the about us page is really unnecessary, and search spiders would navigate that page with javascript turned off. I'm not sure your images are appropriate. A bit gaping hole (on your contact page) for a law firm? Many negative connotations could be connected to this. The gap you have on the left is too large and you have too many blocks here and there, making it all look very...erm...blocky. The text you use is too heavy on the eyes, you don't need to make everything bold.

I appreciate you're not much of a Graphic Designer but you really need to brush up on this side of things, even the basics, to be taken seriously. Get some books on the subject, look into graphic design theory etc.

ngseo

I think the layout of the site is okay and looks professional, simple and clean. You might want to add a bit more content just so the site doesn't come off as "empty" (for lack of a better term).

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
The site design is okay, very basic. I would try to use something other than drop shadows, large gradients, and plastic buttons, as they a bit dated these days. The colors are not bad though. I also agree with JMC, the photos dont all apply, especially the one on the contact page. The about us page needs work as well. Maybe a little bio about each person listed and take the names out of those boxes (hard to read, and very dated). Reading up on design theory is a good idea. Try searching the internet for other law firm websites, just to give you some inspiration?

The programmed (structural) side of the site is great, clean and simple. Well done. Good use of tableless design.

hamiltop

K... I really appreciate the feedback so far. As far as the photos go, The one on the homepage is the Salt Lake City courthouse... The one in Practice areas is the library in their office, and the contact us is one of the famous rock formations found in Utah (where the law firm is based).

Maybe you could point me to some good examples of replacement for the following "dated" items....

Plastic Buttons
Drop shadows
Large Gradients
Boxes

I'm working on getting some more content to make it seem less empty...

Also, one final thing... any recommendations for good reading up on design theory?