First Site is finally active!

CaldwellYSR

Well I've finally put my first real site online. It's a site for a friend who doesn't want to pay so it's hosted through a free hosting site (unfortunate I know) and she hasn't finished putting content in. There's nothing on the artwork page and there's only filler content on the philosophy page but it's up and running so I'm happy. If you would be so kind as to check it out and give me feedback I'd greatly appreciate it. http://carmen.isgreat.org/

jacvio

Well there is a lot that can be done, but its a lot better than my first site :)

First thing that pops up in my mind is, to me it looks like you are using 2 maybe even 3 different font types on you site, thats a lot when thinking the site is not rich on text content.

that said for your next site, try looking around at some of the web galleries on the internet, get inspired for the next design, you can learn a lot by looking around.

CaldwellYSR

Well there is a lot that can be done, but its a lot better than my first site :)

First thing that pops up in my mind is, to me it looks like you are using 2 maybe even 3 different font types on you site, thats a lot when thinking the site is not rich on text content.

that said for your next site, try looking around at some of the web galleries on the internet, get inspired for the next design, you can learn a lot by looking around.

Really? It should all be one font? I'll take a look at that.

CaldwellYSR

No, it doesn't need to all be 1 font. You just need to make sure the fonts you do use work together.

No I meant.... that site only uses one font... in the css I have body {font-family: (a few different choices);} so I don't understand what he's saying about having different fonts lol

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I meant.... that site only uses one font... in the css I have body {font-family: (a few different choices);} so I don't understand what he's saying about having different fonts lol

No idea what he's talking about. It's all the same font.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think me might be referring to your usage of letter spacing.

your slideshow uses gifs? personally i'd use jpgs

you need a bit more line height on your paragraphs, and you either indent or have margins, but there's no need to do both. appears disjointed.

otherwise not bad for a first go.

CaldwellYSR

I think me might be referring to your usage of letter spacing.

your slideshow uses gifs? personally i'd use jpgs

you need a bit more line height on your paragraphs, and you either indent or have margins, but there's no need to do both. appears disjointed.

otherwise not bad for a first go.

Thanks for pointing out those gifs. I "optimized" those too long ago and have no idea what I was thinking. I'll also go back and look at the margin issue. Thanks Phreaddee :D

btw it does look much better without the text-indent. Not sure what I was thinking there either :) Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Tim

This is a good start. One thing I would change is the opacity from the menu, I'd change that back to 1 because it's to busy right now.

morry89

There's tons of fonts that could be used, check out the css3 @font-face or Google Font Api and try using Sans-Serifs more as it fits more for the computer screen. Serifs are more used for pocket books and so on.

Last edited: