First experience with WP... I miss notepad ++...

Aaron237

Hi all,

I'm new here, nice to meet you. I'm also brand new to wordpress - I used to write html and css with notepad ++ so I'm struggling to figure out how WP works.

My problem is the header button on my front page. It was working fine yesterday, I did some work on other stuff and now that I'm testing it again it opens in a new tab.

I never changed the target and in fact I don't even know where I would find that. Styles.css? One of the 20 or so files I'm able to edit? The organization doesn't make much sense to me so I have not edited any files directly.

Yesterday I thought I fixed it because it started behaving again! I went to bed proud that it was better but now this morning it's doing the same thing again without me even touching it!

So far in wordpress I have only worked with the WYSIWYG stuff like plugins, theme customization pages and widgets.

So could someone point me in the right direction? How do I change it back to _self?

Thanks a million!

Apokalupsis

Each theme works differently. In some, this is controlled by the theme options itself...in others, you have to mess w/ the code.

There is no "universal" solution to the problem because there are too many issues that could be causing it thus, too many solutions to offer.

You'll need to be more specific, like posting the url of the wp theme or even installation. Perhaps even letting someone have admin access on a dev install to review the options available.

chrishirst

Staff member
I was the same several months ago. WordPress themes are STILL HTML and CSS

I never changed the target and in fact I don't even know where I would find that.
look in header.php, or if it is only on the "home" page in index.php of the theme you are using.

Aaron237

Thanks so much for your quick replies!

Ack, my mistake. Here are some details:

The URL is http://www.aaronwellness.com/ and the button in question is the big white "Click me" one.

I did check the header.php and index.php files but I could not find anything related to the button.

I did not create the website originally and hired someone else to do it since I haven't done web design in so long and have moved on to different things but looking around it appears that the theme cost $25 so I'm not sure if I can easily share it with you folks but it is "Health Point - Responsive WordPress Landing Page" By WebFactory (Version 1.15)

chrishirst

Staff member
Looking at the clues in the source footprint there is probably a 'page' with a slug of "index" and it will be there.

OR

Check what is set for the 'home' page in Dashboard -> Settings -> Reading and edit that entry.

Apokalupsis

I did not create the website originally and hired someone else to do it since I haven't done web design in so long and have moved on to different things but looking around it appears that the theme cost $25 so I'm not sure if I can easily share it with you folks but it is "Health Point - Responsive WordPress Landing Page" By WebFactory (Version 1.15)
You misunderstand. You don't have to "share" a theme with anyone. You simply install the theme (if you own it) in a subdirectory on your site/server then grant someone access to the admin area to check out the settings.

Of course, if you don't know how to install it, that may be an issue and another solution will have to found.

I use WP themes for my clients all the time. And almost always, the setting for this type of thing is found in the cp...it almost always is the case that you don't need to change an existing file's code.

Probably the best solution would be to contact the theme's creator (or the installer) and ask them how to fix it since they will have first hand knowledge of it.