Embed forum???

Travo925

Ok, on my website i would like to have a forum. However, I would like it to fit into my whole design, and I dont want a link to another site. Nor, do I want to embed a webpage within one of my webpages. Do any you know of any html codes that I can put into my site so it will basically put a forum there..or do you know of any forum java applets??

AainaA

IFrame?

ignore this msg: and i thought by pressing spacebar, it will accomodate and make my sentence above longer :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
not sure exactly what you are after, but most forum software does allow you to edit the template so that you can integrate the look with the rest of your website.

Travo925

OK. I should have been clearer in the first post... but here is the website...

http://www.freewebs.com/travo925/

On the forums page, which I do not have active,when you click the "forums" hyperlink, on that page I would like to see the forum within the light silver border which is located on the other pages....(like the one the news is in)

and yet still be able to see the navigation menu and the server menu.

Travo925

StephanieCordray said:
Do you want your right and left columns to remain?

yes...though only thing i want to alter is the content within the text field..which is where i want the forum...

StephanieCordray

well... i can tell you the easiest way to go about it is to use a content management system and import a forum as a module of the cms using your design as the theme.

Like this site: http://www.writingwise.com . It's a basically dead site as far as the forum, lol... rarely updated otherwise as well. did I mention I hate running forums?

That site was supposed to be a joint effort among a group and I got left holding it and not enough time to work on it and build it up.

The other way to do it is create your forum and get your theme to fit the forum. Not sure how easy that will be if you want to keep the side columns.

Last edited:

Travo925

StephanieCordray said:
well... i can tell you the easiest way to go about it is to use a content management system and import a forum as a module of the cms using your design as the theme.

First off, i am quite a newcomer to all this webdesign, and that is one of my only productions. On your site, that you listed before, is how I want it, like the same as yours, with being a part of the site, not a link. How would I go about using a content management system and importing a module? Btw, I am using frontpage, dont know if that changed anything.

StephanieCordray

Hmmmm... well... frontpage won't make a difference as long as you get rid of everything that says frontpage or microsoft in the code view. I have to do the same with dreamweaver, lol, so it's not a thing against frontpage.

The site I sent you to was built with postnuke, Autotheme, and pnphpBB. pnphpBB is an adapted version of phpBB2.0. All three are open source and free for personal use.

There's a set of tutorials for Autotheme that will walk you through the entire process of adapting your design for a content management system. There are some errors on some of the php tags that I found but other than that, you don't really have to know a lot to use it. If you decide to go that route, I'll walk you through the tags that are wrong. There's also a good forum at the autotheme site.

An alternative is keeping your site as is, make the forum using your header graphic, and don't worry about keeping your side columns. You can add a cell at the top for links back to your main site.

Something else I just thought about is: are you sure you can have a forum on your site? You use free hosting and a forum requires a database. You might want to check on that before you make any significant changes.

Travo925

StephanieCordray said:
An alternative is keeping your site as is, make the forum using your header graphic, and don't worry about keeping your side columns. You can add a cell at the top for links back to your main site.

Something else I just thought about is: are you sure you can have a forum on your site? You use free hosting and a forum requires a database. You might want to check on that before you make any significant changes.

That alternative I think would be better, so it wouldnt look as squished. Would I just make it as you described in the previous post. And, i believe that is offered, but I will surely check it out...thanks for the heads up ;)

StephanieCordray

That alternative is definitely the easiest way to do it. You can add your header graphic to the top cell using an existing or default theme that comes with your forum. Add or take away table cells to give room to add links back to your main site. Just like that.

Travo925

Hmm....couple of things(and dont mean to be a bother) but, it seems that Autotheme needs to be paid for, and pnphBB and postnuke just give me a list of files when I download them. I do see that there are index.htm files within pnphBB and postnuke, how would I go about editing these? And is there any content on them? because there is nothing on them when I open it in any html editor or a browser.

StephanieCordray

There will be a folder inside each called themes. It is within that you'll find the htm page you would need to edit, depending on which theme you find easiest to adapt to your design. You can just pull it up into Frontpage or other HTML editor and work on it from there. You can also download other free themes from the phpbb or postnuke download sites.

There should be a free version of Autotheme called autotheme .x or autotheme lite unless they discontinued it. I forget which name it had since I needed the commercial version anyway.

I just remembered something though, so you may not need it at all. There is a templating system built into the newer versions of postnuke. I think it's called Xanthia or something like that. Been meaning to check it out.

Travo925

Well. As i previously stated, I am rather a beginner to this. So this nuke language or system or whatever it is called is well over my head. If any of you could give me step through step of how I would go about making the forum in the alternative method stated before. It may be easier just to email me at [email protected] or just post here, but I would truly appreciate this. I dont even know which version of the programs I am suppose to get. Thanks in advance a whole bunch

-Travis

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Is the alternative method you are referring to, is creating a phpbb forum and just retaining the header/background look of the site whilst losing the side area?
Did you check of your free web hosts allows you to create mysql databases?
It is too long to post step by step instructions. If you are referring to http://www.phpbb.com/ then that has a user guide at http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/ If you are after a simple solution, that is one of the easiest. If your free host does not allow mysql databases, then you may need to look at a third party hosted forum which would probably contain ads.

Travo925

ian said:
Is the alternative method you are referring to, is creating a phpbb forum and just retaining the header/background look of the site whilst losing the side area?
Did you check of your free web hosts allows you to create mysql databases?
It is too long to post step by step instructions. If you are referring to http://www.phpbb.com/ then that has a user guide at http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/ If you are after a simple solution, that is one of the easiest. If your free host does not allow mysql databases, then you may need to look at a third party hosted forum which would probably contain ads.

alright, thanks for all the support everyone ;)