Element Positioning Problem Please Help

jlcasey321

I am revamping a web site that I made for my parents small business and I don't know how to do this one thing correctly.

I will include the website so if anyone is willing they have access to viewing the source code.

www.actheatingandcooling.com

The problem that I have is I am trying to place text over the top of an image but at the same time I want the page to stay center in the web browser window when expanded or compressed. The page currently operates how I want it to but it requires a lot of extra work and all apdiv have to be included after the elements on the page. Which results in the need for a negative number in the apdiv style eg.

#temp {
position:relative;
left:30px;
top:-300px;
width:840px;
height:226px;
z-index:2;
text-align: center;
}

I know apdiv is for absolute placement but this is the only way I could figure out how to get the page to look how it does. I sure it is wrong what do I do to do it correctly? One book I have read mentions something similar to this and says to wrap an an absolute position with a relative tag is this the answer? If so how do you do that because the authors just mentions it in passes and doesn't explain any further.

This works on most browsers that I have checked but in safari it adds 300 pixels to the bottom of the page too, which doesn't look great and is worse as the div elements add up and the pages go on way longer than needed. If anyone is willing to look and the source code and tell me how to do this correctly I would greatly appreciate the help.

Novice in over his head,

Joe