Easiest design software, best results?

Motown

This is my first post, on a great forum!

If I was more into webdesign I could see myself spending some time here, which leads me to my question.

I have no design background at all. The only webdesign I have done is using GoDaddy's templates.:rolleyes:

I have used the search feature many times and it appears DW or Joomla is the easiest to use with the best results. But then again some of the stuff you folks talk about regarding these different programs is really over my head.

Is it feasible for a person with no design exp. at all with no programming exp. to speak of, use one of these programs successfully? Which one would be easier or better?

Thanks in advance

Geodun1

With no design expertise, Joomla is definitely the best bet here. However, you'll have to learn how to upload to a server, set up a database (MySQL most likely), and install a web application. Joomla comes with complete documentation on that I believe.

Cost Effectiveness
Dreamweaver can cost a bundle, whereas Joomla is free. There are reasons for this, mostly Joomla's open source community. See the differences between the two below.

Difference between the two?

Dreamweaver is an EDITOR. As such, it edits html code, css, dynamic pages, etc. This gives you tons of creative control over your website, and literally limitless possibilities, if you take the time to learn it. Dreamweaver runs on your computer, not the web. Which is naturally far more secure than a CMS package like Joomla.

Joomla is NOT an editor. It's a Content Management System (CMS). As such, it does NOT run on your computer, but rather directly on your website through a control panel. Your server (where your website's files are stored) needs to have PHP and MySQL installed. Joomla is free, powerful, and offers thousands of templates. There is a lot of potential here. Basic HTML knowledge is undoubtedly necessary here, but you may be able to scrape by without it.

What is HTML? Where can I learn it?

If you have any interest in web design, the best way to start is to learn Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) and move on from there. The place I started at (and many thousands of thousands of others) is http://w3schools.com .

Good luck, if you have any further questions I'll probably be around.

jnjc

I reckon you are on the right track with Joomla. If you have a definite project in mind the way I would approach it is to try and find a Joomla Template close to what you have in mind and then try and tweak it to fit your idea.

This way you don't have to learn a huge amount before you get started...

conor

joomla is easy and free.

dreamweaver is aparently good - i have never used it myself, and can be free if you search hard enough! Most people recommend it for beginners and a lot of full time designers also use it.

hi Motown

yes..it is ok....u will be successfully in whatever u want to do if u really want to...

designing today is now done via versatile and powerful tools... u may not be a designer but i am sure u will be able to churn out impressive graphics within a few weeks....

then u will learn

go for it

vilen3

Flash Factory

http://www.flashfactory.com

A great solution if ur looking for a great looking/professional website, that easy and quick to make, plus its really affordable

I made a martial arts website that looks like I paid a pro to do. They let you do a test-drive so you only buy the site if you like how it comes out.