DVD Compatability PAL NTSC?

cj929

I live in the UK and I'm hoping to send a few homemade DVD's (DVD+R Verbatim) to family in America, my question is will they be able to play the DVD'S on American equipment? thanks

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your home videos are region free off course, so as such it's just a matter of whether their viewing equiptment can support whatever format you burn and send the DVD's in.

Computers can of course play both PAL and NTSC videos. Many modern DVD players can also do this. Some will even have the ability to convert the NTSC signal to PAL or vice versa. Again, it all depends on what your relatives intend to use to view these DVD's and how you burn them.

The standard in the states is NTSC. So burning your DVD's as such would be your best bet for compatibility.

Also, your thread has been moved to the General Chat area, being that it is a non-web design topic.

Arkette

PAL and NTSC are National Television video standards whereas DVD information is stored as compressed digital data and only transcribed into video when it is played out. The upshot of which is if you Burn a DVD in london it can be played in New York without any need for standards conversion.