Dropdown Menu in Form (Filtering?)

follicle

Hello,

We currently have a form-to-email employment application on our corporate website. The web form features text input boxes, radio buttons, and drop down menus. My supervisor has asked that I add a drop down menu so that applicants can select which job opening they are applying for. In the drop down menu, we will list current job openings by position. Take note that our company works in three different sectors: Civil, Mining, and Equipment.

My supervisor was asking if it is possible to have a drop down menu or a set of radio buttons where the applicant can first select which of the three sectors they are applying for: Civil, Mining, or Equipment. Then, based on which sector the applicant chooses, the "job openings" drop down menu is populated with positions available in that sector. He referred to it as "filtering."

Is something like this possible? I have enough web design knowledge to build a decent web form and have it send the data to an e-mail address, but I'm kind of stumped on this one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon

bcee

Of course it's possible, quite easy with some JS.

Monitor the onchange (drop down) or click (radio) events for the main categories, they should have a unique id that can be passed as an argument. Assign a unique array for each category and simply populate a drop down's innerHTML with the array using the unique id.

LandisCreations

As Bcee mentions, Javascript is the answer.

Google can also very much be your friend here. Try searching for something like: dynamic html form

You'll find tons of tutorials.

Best of luck!

~ Nathan