Drawing curves

AusQB

I got bored and decided to experiment with some designs.

I wanted to create a simple waveform graphic header for a page. Nothing fancy, just a classic wave shape (maybe cloned to make make 3 depth layers).

I have no idea how to go about this.

I went into Photoshop and tried the pen tool (which I had previously had no experience with) and couldn't get a grip of it.

Would it be wise to create it in CorelDRAW and import it as a PNG or something?

What would be the best way to create it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've got it sorted.

Last edited:

AusQB

Aww, I wanna know what you did!

I ended up going into CorelDraw.

To make the wave shape I created an oval, and then cut out the inner area with a circle and the bottom part with a rectangle. Then to get the back part of the wave I created another much larger oval, placed it next to the wave and a rectangle base, so that there was a curved triangle area. Then I simply created a polygon in that area, trimmed it with the large oval and had a nice curved back.

It probably wasn't the best way to go about it, I had to make some minor adjustments to compensate for bad alignment, but I think it turned out alright.

I then exported it as a PNG and opened it in Photoshop. There I added a curved rectangle for the page frame. I guess I could've done that in CorelDRAW but it didn't really make a difference in the end.

Here is the final result: Wave Page Concept

(Please don't steal)

Barkri12

Drawing cartoon is similar to draw any object or character by pencil or brush. The important point to imagine or draw a cartoon is that the artist should have a sense of humor or comic expression in the character. Though drawing cartoon is a born quality but that can be achieved by a professional training program. The creativity can be also achieved by experiences and often work on this field.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait! :) Dont give up on Photoshop just yet, the curve is very easy to make.

Do this:

• Hit Crtl + ', this will bring up the grid. Can also be found in View > Show > Grid.
  • Using the grid will help you make things exactly even.
  • Next hit Crtl + Shift + ;, this will trigger the Snap feature. Can also be found in View > Snap, and View > Snap To > Grid.
  • Now grab the Pen tool (p) and add one point on the artboard. It will snap to the closest grid line intersection.
  • Click again to add another but BEFORE you let go of the mouse, DRAG the mouse in a direction and you will see the anchor has one/two bars that extend out. This is used to adjust the curve.
  • Let go of the mouse and it will Snap to the closest grid line intersection.
  • Now just click again with the mouse to add another anchor and it will automatically apply the opposite curve.
  • Done.

To adjust the curve after the fact, just grab the adjustment bars and move to a desired position. For more freedom with these, turn off the Snap feature.

Check this tut out for more info: Tutorial 9 Pen Tool Guide

yelleyster

also, there's a bunch of tutorials out there, because you can make the curves in many ways, there's not just one way to do it. also which program do you WANT to use to make it? if its corel, then i know nothing about that program because i gave up on that about 10 years ago. but if its photoshop, you can find TONNES of ways to do this at like psdtuts.com and tutvid.com

AusQB

Wow, thanks PixelBrusher. I can't believe it was so simple. You have no idea how many times I've spent just dragging those curves around trying to make them look halfway decent, but I couldn't get them to curve the way I wanted.

Thanks again.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, thanks PixelBrusher. I can't believe it was so simple. You have no idea how many times I've spent just dragging those curves around trying to make them look halfway decent, but I couldn't get them to curve the way I wanted.

Thanks again.

No problem bud, your welcome. The vector drawing capabilities of Ps make icon creation a whole lot easier :)