Domain Name Questions

rka81

Please can someone help me to understand the following.....I went to buy a domain name earlier today and unfortunately it had already been registered. However, when i looked at the WHOIS details the following was stated:-

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 24-May-2004
Renewal date: 24-May-2006
Last updated: 14-Dec-2005

Registration status:
Renewal required.
*** This registration has been SUSPENDED. ***

Now, a) what does suspended mean? and b) how long until it will be possible for me to purchase the domain? - its renewal date was almost 2 moths ago???

Thanks in advance..

DLPerry

Without being able to look at the domain records in detail, I'm not sure, but...a registrar is permitted to hold an expired domain for a period of time (usually 30 - 90 days) after expiration, and they can and often do choose to register and keep the domain themselves.

During this period - the domain owner may still renew the registration (usually at a substantially higher price). If they don't - then it's up to the registrar what happens to the domain...most are released to the public, some are not - depends on the domain and it's popularity/marketability/etc.

hth.

--dlp

rka81

DLPerry said:
Without being able to look at the domain records in detail, I'm not sure, but...a registrar is permitted to hold an expired domain for a period of time (usually 30 - 90 days) after expiration, and they can and often do choose to register and keep the domain themselves.

During this period - the domain owner may still renew the registration (usually at a substantially higher price). If they don't - then it's up to the registrar what happens to the domain...most are released to the public, some are not - depends on the domain and it's popularity/marketability/etc.

hth.

--dlp

Thankyou for your response