Domain Name about to Expire.....and I want it!!!

rka81

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can answer the following for me....

I have found a domain name that I would like to purchase but have discovered that it has already been registered. Now, the domain has been registered but there is no actual live site and thru the WHOIS thing I have found that the reigistration is due to expire (very soon). So what I was wondering is when the domain name expires is it possible that I can quickly jump in there and register it myself on that particular date or is it that the current owner has the right to re-register it before anyone else can?????!! The fact that the name is owned but there is no site is the reason I am trying to follow this up....

DLPerry

rka81 said:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can answer the following for me....

I have found a domain name that I would like to purchase but have discovered that it has already been registered. Now, the domain has been registered but there is no actual live site and thru the WHOIS thing I have found that the reigistration is due to expire (very soon). So what I was wondering is when the domain name expires is it possible that I can quickly jump in there and register it myself on that particular date or is it that the current owner has the right to re-register it before anyone else can?????!! The fact that the name is owned but there is no site is the reason I am trying to follow this up....

You're suspicion is correct - "the current owner has the right to re-register it before anyone else can".
There is always a '"waiting period" before a newly abandoned and expired domain becomes available to the public - usually 30 - 90 days, sometimes longer.
During this time the current domain owner/administrator may renew, then after a period of time (usually 15 - 30 days) the registrar can purchase it, and if none of the above take it, then the domain becomes available to the 'un-washed public' ;).

Hope this helps.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
There is a strong chance they will renew, after it is expired for a while, varying time, it then goes into a redemption period for around 30 days then it goes into a pending delete status for around 5 or so days, then it is actually available for re-registration. But depending on where the domain was initially registered, you may need to register with a drop partner for that particular registrar, someone like snapnames.com for example. Then expired domains often go into an auction process, where bidding can often reach very high levels.
So, there are basically quite a few hurdles.

rka81

Thanks alot....

I'll keep an eye on it then....but probably best to try and come up with a new name!:)