Does switching my hosting hurt rankings

tkowebworks

Hello,

I'm thinking about changing my websites hosting company. The site doesn't have much there yet, but has been up for a year, so I don't want to start over as far as search engines.

If I move it to another hosting company do you know if that affects anything with my pageranking? Sorry if I am using the wrong terms.

Thank you so much in advance :)

DHDdirect

I would say no.

Just make sure you have your new hosting setup with your website up and ready to go. Then change the domain dns information. Generally there wont be a lapse of service but it is still possible.

greatar4

As long that your site is still live and can be accessed by search engine spiders, I don't think it is going to hurt your ranking. I have a site myself that was expired, I was in the 4th position for a highly competitive keyword, and it took me more than 4 days to renew it despite the fact that all my data were deleted my ranking was not hurt by that.

colorexperts

Hello,

I'm thinking about changing my websites hosting company. The site doesn't have much there yet, but has been up for a year, so I don't want to start over as far as search engines.

If I move it to another hosting company do you know if that affects anything with my pageranking? Sorry if I am using the wrong terms.

Thank you so much in advance :)

I don't think so :)

jaywebdev

Changing web hosts alone shouldn’t have any affect on how a search engine ranks the web site as long as the change is smooth. A small static site with few web pages (under 1,000) is pretty straightforward. Moving a huge site with tens of thousands of pages, multiple servers and more complex hosting and redundancy factors is of course, a bit more complex. Source : toprankblog.com/2008/10/seo-basics-change-site-hurt-rankings/

Last edited:

che09

It might,but I don't think it will cause so much. But of course make sure you'll be back in time. ;)

krymson

I used to work for Host Gator and we had this question alot... But no it will not hurt your rankings. Content and domain wont change and if you're still getting traffic you're not hurting

bermuda

If you pay attention to the hosting details, there will not be any major impacts on your web ranks. For example, attempt to shift to another service provider which also is inside your country. For instance, shifting from one US based company to another one in the States will not change your rankings. Just make sure the new company you are interested in using their service offers reliable and uptime packages, the ones which are today very important indeed.

You can find a lot of articles posted over the net, concerning the big roles played by web hosting accounts, especially since the recent Google updates because factors like availability of the records online and uptime status of the spots and how fast websites load can all have impacts on rankings and performances of websites these days. There is no problem with shifting hosting companies but make sure you turn to better and stronger companies offering great accounts.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only if the host is blacklisted for bad practices. (but you wont be changing to a bad host)
Otherwise smooth transition in under 24hrs and u wont notice a thing (besides prob faster loading)

Edge

No - it shouldn't hurt your rankings unless the ip address on which the site has moved to is blacklisted. Also provided server is fast enough to serve pages in time! Google is not interested in hosting quality but content quality.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know whether it affects it, but I would rather not have to deal with that possible problem, that is why it is good to chose your web hosting company well.