Does BounceRate% effect SEO and make 1 page sites unrealistic?

helloworld

hey forum.. title pretty much says everything.
As many of you know.. I currently have an under construction page in place for http://helloworlddesignco.com (I am undergoing a ton of design and functionality changes whilst developing a from-scratch-smartphone-friendly client admin for future clients). And so I've been thinking about how high my bounce rate must be.

This is only a temporary situation for my site.. but it got me thinking about the growing popularity of the one-page websites I've seen popping up all over the place.

Any of you have some experience to share?

leroy30

Well I actually wouldn't know but my educated guess would be no since the only way search engines can measure the bounce rate is if you deliberately put their script in your page.

Having more than one page with quality content will definately help however. But not because of bounce rate I don't think.

helloworld

I was afraid the bounce rate might make search engines think people open the first page of a site, see that the content does not match what they were searching, and leave.. ???

1 page sites are a neat idea for certain projects I think besides this..

rahmanpaidar

Well I actually wouldn't know but my educated guess would be no since the only way search engines can measure the bounce rate is if you deliberately put their script in your page.

Having more than one page with quality content will definately help however. But not because of bounce rate I don't think.

They find the bounce rate not only by scripts. That is only one way.
Another way is by different toolbars and pluggins which one search engine
can use to collect and compute the bounce rate, attractiveness and a
lot of other data from their online visitors:

- Google Chrome
- Google Analytics
- Google Toolbar - Yahoo Toolbar - Ask Toolbar
- Bing can directly compute bounce rate from IE browsers.
- The list goes on...

There are tone of other ways one search engine can spy on their visitors.