Do you have to be creative and artistic to go into graphic designing?

angelhardy

i'm not creative nor can i draw. just wondering if it's possible for me to major in graphic designing. thank for your help and time!!

rbxslvr

I honestly believe creativity is something you are born with, but you can also learn it. A few years ago, I didn't think of myself as creative, but now, my entire world revolves around my creativity. It's not that you can't draw, it's that you don't draw. If you want to draw.... just practice. Find articles online, and learn the basics. Develop your own style. I don't think creativity can be "taught", but it can be "learned."

I'd start with tracing pictures. Learn "Cartoon" style pictures. Tracing Dr. Seuss pictures is probably the greatest thing for beginners, because it helps to develop an artistic feel. His drawings are both simple, yet represent an unimaginably detailed creation. The more you draw characters, the better you will become. I'm sure, eventually, you will find yourself at a position where you can visualize a creation in your head, and draw it on paper.

By the way, if you do surf the net to get started in a specific area, don't pay money for it... find something free. There are too many people out there willing to help.

So, I say, Go For It.... remember, practice makes perfect. Draw as often and as much as you can. Afterwords, look at every drawing you create, and analyze it yourself. Pick what you don't like about it, and even repeat it, fixing those things, until you are satisfied. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

AlphanetChrisC

Usually the non-creative ones are the technical ones. I myself am a programmer because I feel I'm not able to graphic design, but I can make websites as well. If you really do plan on graphic designing, use a talent given to you. my girlfriend is a very good story-teller and she is planning on learning how to tell stories from her graphic designs. I like to do things differently than others, and if i were a graphic designer I'd be one who'd study how colors perceive emotions and how stuff makes people think...... or something like that

starteasy

I have been trying for 6 years to get creative with web design, and I still haven't. I agree with rbxslvr that it is the same with anything, sport, art, mathematics, music. You either got it, or you dont. I am excellent at using Ps and Dw and I can copy other people's sites perfect, but I cant go off and make my own. So I get my wife to do that side for me, and as I am more mathematical and geeky, I do the html, css and php.

3dmagicaldesign

You don't need to be creative, just make some researches, find websites that you like and make something similar, that will help you a lot and all you will need is handle the programs

wetgravy

if you want to copy other peoples work, then by all means become a graphic designer. When your clients get tired of having ripped off designs ... they will find someone creative to do what they want. Skills and programs can be taught ... you cant teach someone to be creative.

3dmagicaldesign

What I meant is that if you don't know how to start a design, just make some research and find good sources, grab some ideas and start from scratch using what you like most about the things that you found.

I don't mean to encourage anyone to copy other people's work

sheanhoxie

I think that if your gonna pursue something like this as a major then you should ask yourself if your ready to push yourself to learn. Not just go to school but stay up late, every waking moment you have to pursue this, saturday nights, monday morning before work, after work etc. Is this a passion or something cool you think you want to do?
Download GIMP or a free version of Photoshop and play around with it. Copy a few things off the web and try to recreate, try to create something yourself. Remember, not ALL graphic artists or regular artists are "creative", some people make a living off of creating catalogs and mailers using previously created artwork or recreating great paintings as imitations, or you can work with a group of artists and you can be the go to person to mock something up or lay it out for a brochure or calendar.
Many many avenues to pursue if you do decide this is something you want to do, just try to find out if it is what you want to do.

wetgravy

What I meant is that if you don't know how to start a design, just make some research and find good sources, grab some ideas and start from scratch using what you like most about the things that you found.

I don't mean to encourage anyone to copy other people's work

i didn't think that at all ... i just know alot of people that call themselves graphic designers but really just rip off others ideas. I get alot of clients who had someone else working on their ads/websites/whatever and they found out their work was almost completely someone elses. I myself use references all the time, i also make sure i'm using them as just that.

And definantly OP, if your considering something that is about as easy to break into as trying to start a successful band (not just playing in a garage with your friends) ... i would think hard if this is what you want.

bullzeyedesign

I definitely feel as though you need to be creative and have basic drawing skills to be a successful graphic artist.

However, there are other areas of design that don't need as much artistic ability... such as production designers and even an in-house position for an online store or department store might be a good fit for you -- a position like that for me, as a creative individual, would be very tedious because I like to experiment and work with different clients and on different mediums. However, this is very stressful (especially if you don't have hundreds of ideas floating through your head at any given moment). Creating-on-demand isn't something that everyone is cut out for. Clients, bosses, and colleagues EXPECT you to come up with an idea... fast. And not just any idea, a super duper great idea. It's just expected of you, just as if you went to Human Resources and asked about your prescription plan. He/She is expected to provide the solution/answer just as you are expected to provide the creative idea.

Last edited: