<div> tags phenomenon?

slimeysi

This maybe an obvious question that everyone knows the answer to, but I've just discovered it for myself. I don't get: Why and How have people to managed to design entire websites using mostly <div> tags and style sheets and almost nothing else (especially table tags, which I thought were the crux of websites?)

Is it a good method? Do the sites load quickly? How can you specify where stuff ends up being on the final html page? Through CSS and the laborious method of counting pixels!?

Would love some clarity on this one.....have I been designing sites stupidly with tables, CSS etc.?

Yours sincerely,

Simon

BaldEagle

Hi Simon,
From a purist's standpoint (which I am not) you should take the time to learn css layout. Before long you will be comfortable with it and will probably never go back to tables. I differ from some in that I don't really have a problem with table layouts if that is what you are comfortable with for the time being. But, if you choose not to learn css layouts you are mising out on a fantastic design tool. The more you keep content separate from layout the easier it is to code and modify your site.

Check out these links:
http://www.w3schools.com has lots of tutorials, and

http://www.csszengarden.com will show you how powerful css can be.

BaldEagle

slimeysi

Thank you so much Bald Eagle......you've totally solved my problem and suspicion....

So....these guys use div tags and spans to wack in their CSS, and the positioning is all done through that. How the mutha-crush do you make sure everything lines up etc., trial and error I guess, I was just never very good at maths!

Thanks again,

Simon

BaldEagle

Once you see it in action and begin coding your sites via css you will find that the math is really pretty minimal (except perhaps for absolute positioning). Get a copy of Firefox if you don't already have it and use that as your development browser. IE is not very compliant but has to be accounted for nonetheless. So code to FF and then fix all that needs fixin' for IE. One last thing, if you don't already do it, start using a doctype on your pages. If you need more info on that go to W3C.

Best of luck,

BaldEagle