Difference between web font & graphic font?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by Beatrice, Jun 19, 2013.

to remove all ads.
  1. Beatrice

Beatrice New Member

What would you say is the difference between a web font and a graphic font? Would this be the same as saying desktop font vs web font? Do you get confused by the two?

2. d a v e

d a v e New Member

i would say desktop and web font

3. cmarydai

cmarydai New Member

Web fonts are standard and come installed on all computers (you can search for a list). They are fonts like verdana, georgia, etc, and are usually called web safe fonts.

I have never heard to other fonts called "graphic fonts", but these fonts are not previously installed on computers and must be downloaded. If the font is used in web design, you'll have to use CSS to display it.

4. ronaldroe

ronaldroe Super Moderator Staff Member

Um. No.

Web fonts are fonts embedded using @font-face.

Haven't heard of "graphic" fonts, but I'm guessing you mean like icon fonts. Windows has a few installed already, like Wingdings, but you can make your own with any of the several online tools out there.

5. cmarydai

cmarydai New Member

6. cmarydai

cmarydai New Member

Yes I know the overall umbrella term for these fonts are, but when considering the question she probably wanted web safe fonts vs @fontface fonts to be distinguished. :)

7. d a v e

d a v e New Member

i think the terms in the question are unclear.

8. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Web font consists of tuned font and use for developing the professional websites & website design by using the cascading style sheet.
    Web font and Desktop font is not same font because desktop font is used or for software applications of computers.

9. ronaldroe

ronaldroe Super Moderator Staff Member

Alpha, please don't drag up dead threads.

10. chrishirst

chrishirst Well-Known Member Staff Member

Wrong! and that isn't the question.

"web" fonts are ones that CAN be used for 'web' documents, and that includes ALL 'desktop' fonts when using CSS3 typography.

Graphical fonts are ones that are NOT contained in a 'font' file but are in the form of an image, and as such are used for creating a letter, number or word that has been "stylised" as a logo or a trademark.

Examples include 'Twitter', 'Marks and Spencer', 'Coca Cola' 'Nike' but there ARE many others