Did I make a mistake registering my domain through Google?

Meursault

Hi,

I'd appreciate it if you could help this n00b out on an issue.

I registered a domain in Google (via GoDaddy), say www.example.org. I now have several questions...

1. There's this really clumsy and hard to understand architecture (or so it appears to an inexperienced user of Google Sites) through which you have to work. I don't really need a Google Start Page, Google Docs and all the other stuff they have there, nor do I need the long http://sites.google.com/a/example.org domain.

Is it possible to just wipe away or put aside all the above and start building a site from scratch with www.example.org as a home page?

2. I have a blog on WordPress and preferably what I'd like to do is import it over to www.example.org from www.example.wordpress.com, and expand it from there. (I also have the blog on Blogger, but I find Wordpress to be 10x better).

3. If all the above is possible, will Google still provide hosting services, or will I need to obtain an independent host (which should not be a problem - the university I'm at provides 500MB with excellent support for free).

4. Finally, any tips on how a website hosting n00b should go about doing all the above?

If any of the above is unclear please say so and I'll do my best to clarify.

Thanks and regards,

Meursault.

constanthosting

I would personally see about using the universities hosting with your domain. It does seem kind of weird that godaddy is offering domains for google, or whichever, I haven't looked that up yet and I don't know much about googles hosting. I have read that google was doing domain registration.

I love wordpress and have used it for a very long time. :-D