developing a student system and data protection?

webbhost

Hi All,

I have recently opened up a martial arts school, and I want to create an online system to simplify management of my students - however Im a little reluctant to do so because I don't know if I'm really allowed to have students information stored in a database and accessable behind a login page?

I was thinking instead, have part names - for example rather than putting John Doe, I would put him on the system as Joe.B, or John D*e.

it is my assumption that because I am not using a full name, and because there is no other personally identifiable information being stored online that I do not have anything to worry about - should anything ever happen, but is anyone able to confirm this?

I'm pretty knowledgeable with PHP / MYSQL so I am confident I can build a system which is hack-proof from the site end but there's a "what if" shouting in my head.

If anyone has experience in handling data and can confirm either what I need in place, or whether a first name with 1 initial is okay then that would be great. Any sort of guidance to point me into the right direction would be cool.

Nothing else would be stored as mentioned such as date of birth, address, phone number etc - just either a name or part-name.

Thanks for any input.

chrishirst

Staff member
Consult a lawyer who deals with "Data protection" in whatever country you are in. Because until we actually know the country we cannot offer any useful advice.

webbhost

good point that, UK - England.

It might end up being a trip to a lawyer to make sure we're all good but even if it comes to that, doesn't hurt to obtain some background knowledge :)

chrishirst

Staff member
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/contents

Happy reading :)

But the bare bones is it is NOT what people think the DPA is actially is. It is not to enable petty minded bureaucrats to make anyone jump through hoops and be interrogated by jumped up officials when you want to find out what time the tax office opens.

Basically you have to register if you have personal information held on computer records.