Designing for multiple resolutions

sittingmonk

Hi All,

I am currently working on a site and I have hit a bit of a wall.

The basic idea is that I want the site to look ok on both 1024 x 768 and higher resolutions. firstly what are peoples thoughts on 1024 x 768 as the base res - is this acceptable in this day an age or should I be going for 600 x 800?

Secondly, I have been trying to set-up regions as below using tables with little success.

users with lower res will see the main page region with all the crucial stuff: menu, contents etc. Users with a higher res setting will see a little more on either side. see below:

{extended L}{mainpage}{extended R}

The problem I am having is in getting the browser window to expand from covering the mainpage equally to the left and to the right.

Have seen numerous tutorials (with holes in them or large prerequisite knowledge) on Div tag and css to do this but I have found no clear definitive answer

I have attached an image in which I have highlighted the regions.

hope this makes sense and someone can help.

many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments

• testing-expand.jpg
    testing-expand.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Casual

Hi All,

I am currently working on a site and I have hit a bit of a wall.

The basic idea is that I want the site to look ok on both 1024 x 768 and higher resolutions. firstly what are peoples thoughts on 1024 x 768 as the base res - is this acceptable in this day an age or should I be going for 600 x 800?

Secondly, I have been trying to set-up regions as below using tables with little success.

users with lower res will see the main page region with all the crucial stuff: menu, contents etc. Users with a higher res setting will see a little more on either side. see below:

{extended L}{mainpage}{extended R}

The problem I am having is in getting the browser window to expand from covering the mainpage equally to the left and to the right.

Have seen numerous tutorials (with holes in them or large prerequisite knowledge) on Div tag and css to do this but I have found no clear definitive answer

I have attached an image in which I have highlighted the regions.

hope this makes sense and someone can help.

many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Trent

Sittingmonk,

Have you considered the CSS 'min-width: ___px;' or 'max-width: ___px;' properties?

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_dim_min-width.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_dim_max-width.asp

-----
We provide Orange County Website Design Services.

yoshi8

Fuck people with 800x600 monitors...they are poor and dumb :)

only joking I think 1024 x 768 is fine these days!

suz

You could make the main area a centered div and have the rest as a centered background which shows up depending on the users resolution
body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
background: url(../images/bg/bg.gif) repeat-y top center;