Designing a website for a friend

azureye

Here's the deal:

I'm an amateur web designer, and I've taught myself lots of random stuff over the years — mostly, I can do HTML and CSS, though I've been experimenting with PHP as of late.

The director of a local youth theater really wants a website he can easily update with news like auditions, theater camps, whatever, but the theater can't afford to pay someone to set up a site or anything.

I told him I'd be willing to set one up, and now I'm trying to decide the best way to go about this. SETTING up the site isn't a problem, but it needs to be made in a way where everything can easily be edited by the theater director (and he's not very good with computers).

I had considered just setting up a Wordpress blog, since that's super-easy to update, but I'd have to pay extra if I wanted to do any custom CSS or fun stuff.

I'd also looked into CutePHP, which has a CuteNews item, but I've never known anyone who's used it. Has anyone here used it? Would a non-computer-literate person be able to use it to update a site?

Also, does anyone else have any other ideas I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Healthy

Are you looking for free blog hosting or are you going to buy a domain and set up your own site?

Either way wordpress is probably the best choice for an easy to use CMS. There are plenty of places that offer free blog hosting, but they tend to be pretty limiting about editing css/php.

If you are setting up your own domain then as long as your host allows wordpress, you can install it free and edit the css/php as much as you want.

Niteo

yea wordpress is easy and you can rss any content to, say, a home page that has static text like what the site's about and what they do and the RSS feed areas labeled "news" and "upcoming events". but since u don't wanna do anything too crazy, just do wordpress....

natenation

I would recommend wordpress, I just created one like two days ago for my web comics.. http://comics.natenation.com And it is great, I am still customizing it but it's super easy and I think it would suit your client well........... AND what sucks about doing work for friends is updates, with wordpress your friend can control the content, add to, delete, etc.

Nate Johnson
Web Design - Comics - Illustration

http://www.natenation.com

Last edited by a moderator: