Designer friendly

signman

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and have done some searching but I am not finding the answers that I'm looking for. I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.
I am a self taught designer with about 20 years experience in computer design, many more pre computer. When I say design, I am talking art, no code or ones and zeros or anything even close to that. Long story short, I would like to know if there is a web design software that is more of a wysiwyg. Something that would operate similar to Photoshop, I could design the background, have each button on a separate layer, create a link from that layer to a new page and so on....
The next question may be a little tougher. Is there a way to attach design software to the website? Well I know it's possible because I've seen it, what I'm wondering is how it is done? I am a sign maker and I would like to have a site that customers can go in and say design there own banner and click "submit" to purchase.
Here is what I have so far, www.catchyoureye.com, this was created from a template because I don't know how to create links and pages and such.
Thanks in advance for your help.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
What you're asking is better done the long way: learn XHTML/CSS and just code it. There are plenty of WYSIWYG editors out there, but every last one of them spits out craptastically awful code that breaks the first time you try to...well do anything with it.

Stepping off of my soapbox, what you want can be done by Photoshop itself, or you could use Dreamweaver or Kompozer.

CaldwellYSR

As far as I know there is no way to use photoshop to make webpages without having enough coding knowledge to know where to put the images. That being said the coding knowledge you would need is really simple. HTML and CSS are extremely basic and you could do everything you want to do with just that. You could use photoshop to design the site then just slice it up, save the slices for web, and then use html and css to put them into your page.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as I know there is no way to use photoshop to make webpages without having enough coding knowledge to know where to put the images. That being said the coding knowledge you would need is really simple. HTML and CSS are extremely basic and you could do everything you want to do with just that. You could use photoshop to design the site then just slice it up, save the slices for web, and then use html and css to put them into your page.

You actually came really close to the answer. Once you slice it and hit save for web, there are options to have it kick out crappy absolutely positioned code.

*In case I didn't make it abundantly clear, this is a very BAD way to make websites.*

CaldwellYSR

You actually came really close to the answer. Once you slice it and hit save for web, there are options to have it kick out crappy absolutely positioned code.

*In case I didn't make it abundantly clear, this is a very BAD way to make websites.*

Oh I didn't know that. I'll have to look at that. Probably won't use it since it'll give out bad code but it's a cool thing to see happen :p

Pheno

The closest thing I know to what you want is Serif Webplus X4. This will allow you to build a website using your own images without any coding knowledge. You're not going to create a masterpiece, but it might be a fun creative experience if you really want to build a website yourself but don't want to learn to code.

ella1985

I perfectly understand your feelings as time ago i was a begginer and had the same fears as you. Photoshop is easy to assimilate, and i'm sure you will do itonline sellinggreat.

Last edited: