Design through Wix - Bad Practice???

loopy1215

I'm a recent grad with a Degree in Graphic Design. I pretty much title myself as a professional in 'print design' b/c thats the basis of everything I had learned in school. Only ONE Web Design class was included in my curriculum! :confused:

Well I've recently taken an interest in web design, but have very little understanding in coding and wish to avoid it if I can. Plus I have two clients who would like to have something done very soon.

So my Question: Is it completely horrible and unacceptable to design within Wix (or something similar)? I need it to be accessible for them also so they can continue to upload their own info after I finish designing it.

Input?

THX!! :)

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, yes it is. If you want to be a web designer, you'll have to put in the time to learn to code. That, or outsource it.

henry.row

Well, that is now part of the past, if you want to use a tool that will help you with that and develop great websites, mobile friendly and HTML5 ready. You can send me a message and i will give you access to the beta testing of that software.

You don't need to code when you can design great pieces.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't need to code when you can design great pieces.

Let me rephrase this: "You don't need to actually learn how to make websites when you can just use the same crap software grandma uses to do it!"

If you want to learn to make websites, suck it up and learn to code AND design. There is more to web design than just making a page look pretty. They need to work well too. People like you are turning web design into a joke.

CaldwellYSR

Web design without learning to write code is like surgery without learning about anatomy first. Yeah you can probably point out where the major organs are (maybe) and you could maybe cut the patient open and dig around a bit and who knows you might get lucky... but if you nick something important and the patient starts to die (aka there's an error in your site) You'll have no idea what to do to fix it and your patient won't make it.

loopy1215

Ha - ouch! Well thanks for your opinions. I'm just starting out (hence the question, so please cut some slack Ron?) I know it's a dumb question but I figured it was worth running past the more respectable, knowledgable web people since Wix actually offers their clients the possibility to "hire a designer" and help them get past the already provided templates. That made me feel like it was less absurd to think of it.

Thanks!

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
... please cut some slack Ron?

It wasn't directed at you. I was talking to the guy spamming thread after thread telling people to PM him about his crappy WYSIWYG software.

I hope for you that the point still resonates, though. If you're the least bit serious about web design, treat it as an art, not just an idle skill.