Design one site for 3 company divisions

Grafiti4u

I have a client who has a business called "Joe's Car Care Service". But... in this same building, he has 3 sections: Car Care Service (oil change, lube, etc.), Car Wash & Detailing; Coffee Shop (coffee, breakfast, lunch, online ordering).

So how the heck do I design one website that includes all his divisions, and make it look cohesive? Designing the divisions won't be a problem, but having the home page somehow show all 3 divisions at first glance is a challenge.

Any suggestions, or urls to sites that have successfully designed a site with a similar situation would be most helpful! Thanks so much!

Kristi

chrishirst

Staff member
So how the heck do I design one website that includes all his divisions, and make it look cohesive? Designing the divisions won't be a problem, but having the home page somehow show all 3 divisions at first glance is a challenge.

Why is it a 'challenge'??

This is the ONLY time that honking great (great as in large, not great as in good) "slideshows" have a real useful place on a "home" page.

Failing that, just treat the 'home' page as a portal, home pages are not sacred or sacrosanct and have to be treated with some kind of reverance, it is just one URL among all the other URLs that make up the website.

Grafiti4u

Well, its a challenge to me because I am not just a web developer, but a web designer. To me both are equally important when I am asked to build a website. No, the home page isn't sacred, but I feel it sets the tone for the rest of the site.

If I came to a site that said I could get an oil change, showing a greasy mechanic with his head under a hood, and next to that an elegant quiche on a pristine white plate along side a hot frothy cappuccino, followed by a car all soaped up being sprayed with hi-power jets of water ... my reaction would be, "HUH?" You can't tell me that isn't a strange trio - thus to me its a challenge.

It will obviously be a portal page, but I want to present it in a way that makes sense, I suppose there isn't any way to actually bring them together so it doesn't come across as weird. I was thinking of the slideshow as the best way to go to, just thought someone may have had an idea other than that that would inspire me.

thanks

chrishirst

Staff member
It's not really a design or development "issue", but a 'marketing' issue, and why does it have to be 'cohesive'??
You are letting this rather strange idea that everyone has fallen for since content management systems became 'de rigueur', that ALL the documents that make up a 'site' MUST be absolutely identical in form and function get in the way of what is a fairly interesting project.

Look at it sensibly and logically. If it is apparently NOT incongruous to have three seemingly disparate entities in the same physical building, run by the same owner, WHY does it have to be different in the 'virtual' building??

What's the problem with having two images side by side, one of a gleaming vehicle (with car wash in the background) alongside a obviously used plate with knife and fork laid across it and the caption of:

We clean your car, while you clear your plate!

Instead of focussing on the differences, look for the overlaps.

dreamweaverguy

Hey guys how's it going, I'm new to the forum, but since I noticed your post and read it I simply would like to know if I can jump in the conversation since it's a bit fresh :). As for the website that Grafiti is making I'd love to see a mockup of it if that would be possible so that we can get a better idea of it on the visual side of it. Anyways hope to hear some feed back , by the way I happen to be a front end web des guy doing this stuff since 2008 something like that :) ..anyways cheers till next post

Grafiti4u

Hi dreamweaverguy!

(Dreamweaver girl here) I am fairly new to the board as well, haven't posted very much.

At this point, I don't have a mock-up,its still floating around in my head as to what I want to do. That is initially why I posted. I guess I must be thinking to hard on coming up with a good concept, but that is just how I work. I will probably start laying something out this week.

Welcome to the forum! I have been freelancing for over 10 years or so. Because of that, its helpful to me to get input by other designers. Hope its helpful to you to!

Kristi

krymson

For me it's always better to get a visual reference down before i can think about the logistics of everything. I would get the design and low out in and worry about the content later. Right now you have too much on your mind, colors layout etc... you need to get that out of the way then you can focus on structuring the content and how to present it... you're going to have to think outside the box, but it can be done... That's what separates us from the "i know html so im going to offer websites at $50" people.

Grafiti4u

Thanks krymson. I am not worried about the content too much, that will go easy. Same as the colors, logo, etc. Really, all I was concerned about was the opening page, the initial view. After researching Car Wash Cafes on the internet, I found its not all the unusual of a concept, although this one also has a car repair service as well. So ... I am just going to start laying out what is in my mind and go with it.

Appreciate everyone's input! Got another issue, will post a new message on that - thanks again!
Kristi