Design Industry ??

drawise

What do you think about Design industry includes web design, graphic design etc.

Personally, I think it's a good industry because people can very easily enter the industry. But once you have entered the industry it's very very very difficult to go forward because there are to many designers

However that's what I believe. what about you ?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Like web hosting, web design is an industry in which there are a lot of competitors, I guess as you said because there are low barriers to entry to the market, but for those with excellents skills, there is always the opportunity to make a good living.

SiteExpress

I have found that the easiest way to work the web design market is to start in your own local area. Word of mouth will get you some decent work, and as you build more sites, include links back to your own site. Eventually visitors follow those links and more business comes.

suz

I've just had a client write to me and say he has written emails to over 30 web designers asking for a quote for a job and in total got 4 replies. So I think there must be plenty of room for new web designers still.

SiteExpress

You would not believe how many times I have heard this story.

Too many times I have a client tell me about their "Last web design." Usually they have given them money, then the designer dissapears, or just never finishes the job.

suz

Yes it's not about how much competition you have it's about being better then them all :)

It is rather easy to get burned out as a web designer though so I can understand the no replies, dissappearing etc.

StephanieCordray

suz said:
Yes it's not about how much competition you have it's about being better then them all :)

It is rather easy to get burned out as a web designer though so I can understand the no replies, dissappearing etc.

Those are good reasons to always have a contract. It works both ways, too... sometimes you do the work and don't get paid and the client disappears. Oh, and if you're good, and I mean really good, don't sell yourself cheap. There are only so many clients one person can handle and you could work yourself to death trying to make a decent living if you don't price your services right.

SiteExpress

StephanieCordray said:
Those are good reasons to always have a contract. It works both ways, too... sometimes you do the work and don't get paid and the client disappears. Oh, and if you're good, and I mean really good, don't sell yourself cheap. There are only so many clients one person can handle and you could work yourself to death trying to make a decent living if you don't price your services right.

You are absolutely right Steph. I have been working fairly cheap, as designers go. A couple of weeks ago, I got up and opened my email. I had 4 new orders for custom directories. That put me behind by about 10 or so. I decided right then I must be pricing too cheap, so I raised my prices, and figured if I even kept half of my business, I am money ahead and not working as hard.

Today, I am still behind!!!