Define "reasonable" price

DanMerc

Hello,

I have been asked by my old Headteacher to go back to my old school to design a new school website.

As well as designing the website's look, the whole website will be a custom-made CMS coded myself in PHP.

The current plan has around 60 pages planned (yes, a lot of information) and my work will involve asking the

appropriate staff to write the content, type it up if it is handwritten, and put it into the website. For current

documents like the Prospectus, School Policies, Newsletters, Letters to Parents, etc I will have to proof read and

omit sensitive information and then convert to PDF and upload.

For each curricular subject, the department will have it's own area, where the current staff listing and their

photographs will feature, along with information on the courses that the department runs, and the facility for

teachers in that department to upload files for pupils and parents to view/download.

I am also responsible for taking photographs and editing them if necessary to make them suitable for use on the web,

recording the names of everyone in the photograph in order to write to their parents seeking permission, in line

with the school's Child Protection policy.

The whole website is expected to be finished within around 6 weeks, and I may work from home or within the school

premises.

The hosting and domain name are being sorted and are not my concern.

My headteacher has asked me to come back with a reasonable price for this sort of work.

My question is, what would be deemed "reasonable" for the amount of work detailed above?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Danny ;)

suz

It's always tricky giving quotes. If you have an idea of how long it might take you I would probably start from there to work out how much to charge.

c)solutions

Well, you describe quite a lot. If we would get a question from customer demanding a custom made cms, designing the site and doing all the work of creating content we would probably be asking for an amount between the 10.000 and the 15.000 (dollars it is).

The trick is not to only name the price, but also discribing what you do for this amount of money. Think about things like: research, concepting, projectmanagement, designing, developing, etc. etc.

Looking forward to the result ;)

whirlybird20

Well, you describe quite a lot. If we would get a question from customer demanding a custom made cms, designing the site and doing all the work of creating content we would probably be asking for an amount between the 10.000 and the 15.000 (dollars it is).

The trick is not to only name the price, but also discribing what you do for this amount of money. Think about things like: research, concepting, projectmanagement, designing, developing, etc. etc.

Looking forward to the result ;)

How much would you charge for this site that I just made? It is on a custom made content management system.

http://westbayfishing.com/prelaunch

If the link above does not work, then it is probabily because I have launched it and it will be located in the root directory.

I have already quoted a price, but I just wanted to know what professionals charge.

c)solutions

@ whirlybird:

Well to be honoust I think the site doesnt look good. For this design a customer wouldnt be willing to pay an serious amount of money. If you can get a couple of hundred you can call yourself lucky. The site doesnt look unique, isnt teasing me to explore, the overal composition is missing. A customer doenst only buy the product 'an internet site' and 'a cms', it also pays for a unique design. If the assignment DanMerc is doing doenst look good or at least not professional enough, it will also not be worth its money.
Because we have experience we can aks such prices.

There are offcourse a lot of different content management systems, which cant be put together in one catagorie. Looking at your site it doesnt even need a cms, cause this content will stay the same for quite some time. A cms has a real advantage if you alter things daily.

The cms DanMerc described has more features, which are a bit more complicated. For example making a mailing module within your cms.