CSS Menu Dilemma

ejacka

I am using a CSS menu here: http://www.dynamata.com problem is, when I add a new link I have to update every page individually. Is there a similar menu system, where you can update a master file & all the pages would point to it?

frinkky

Its not the menu system itself thats at fault.

In php you could use <?php include("menu.php"); ?> (menu.php being what ever the files called) plenty of tuts can be found on google.

HTML server side includes could work, for example <!--#include virtual="insertthisfile.html" -->

Alternatively, if you're using dreamweaver, use the template system.

On a separate note, the pages jiggles when the css menu is invoked, best to play around with padding/margin to make sure theres enough room for the menu to appear in to prevent this.

ejacka

True, there is a solution here:

http://www.webdevforums.com/showthread.php?p=88024#post88024

Looks like a good solution except for one thing. On each page, I have removed the menu link for the current page, as it is redundant. My knowledge of PHP is minimal but I guess it would need something like:

if menu_url == page_url then menu_url = 0

any suggestions?

If by jiggle you mean, the menu opens up on the change over, I haven't a clue how to fix that. Do I need more padding or less? Maybe I should scrap the menu & use another system, do you know of any? I write pages manually with HTML-Kit.

Last edited:

frinkky

Its good to practice with this menu system, may as well see it through ;) By jiggle I mean it pushes everything below it down by a pixel or two, so try increasing your padding/margins by a couple pixels - give it the nav more room to grow into.

With removing a nav choice, similar to highlighting the current page in more traditional nav systems, one method is to use a 'class="current" ' in the <li> then you can attach a css style to that class to move it/highlight somehow. Only problem is, unless you're using a dynamic format, like php, you'd need to go through each page and apply the class to the relevant line in your nav - a bit tedious on larger sites.