CSS layout ?'s/Tutorial

saralynndesign

Hello. I am still using tables for most of my web designs as I have yet to grasp CSS enough to feel confident using it. I am currently working on a design that will have a date sensitive sidebar area. This means that the info in the sidebar will need to be changed frequently and will run on every page of the site (this will be around 15 or so pages). It is my understanding that with CSS I would be able to create one file for the sidebar, link it to every page and then only update that one file in order to update the sidebar on each page. Is this correct? If so, can someone direct me to a good source for implementing something along these lines?

Thank you.
S

Paul

You are not exactly correct there. CSS is more of coding language for styling the pages. You can use the PHP include method: '<? include "filename.html"; ?>' (obviously, without the quotes), and you will be able to update the one file and show it across all of the other files.

A guide from Tizag, for the PHP include, may help you.

saralynndesign

Thanks!

Thank you for clarifying and for the link to the guide. I guess maybe I have more a hold on CSS than I thought. I have managed to set up a style sheet for the text in the site design. I don't know anything about PHP though, so I'll go that route for this.

Thanks!
S

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
what you are refering to is not CSS, it is something called SSI (Server Side Includes). you don't need php to make these work, just a host that supports SSI. an include would look something like...

Code:
<!--include file="filename.html" -->
however, css stylesheets would be included into the page like this...
Code:
<link href="stylesheet-name.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />