CSS column question

jvnderwe

Hi, I am trying to setup the layout of my website but am having trouble getting the columns to display the way I'd like them to.

I want to have a column for the main content, and a smaller column on the right, but I don't want to define a width for the main column so that on pages where there is nothing in the right column the main column will automatically fill the entire page.

This is how I want it to look:
1.png

But unless I define a width for column A (which is no good because then it will not fill the whole width when column B is empty), this is what I get instead:
2.png

What do I need to do to fix this?

jvnderwe

The right column is set to float to the right, but this results in column A wrapping around column B since it is almost always longer. I don't want this to happen, I just want column A to go straight down the page like in the first picture in the original post.

CaldwellYSR

I didn't read the question properly.... why not use different widths for different pages? There's no point trying to get one css property to work for all different pages if the layout is different...

jvnderwe

I am going to be building the site in Joomla, so I wanted to see if there was any way I could achieve the two different layouts with only one template. It's alright though, I'll just make two templates. Thanks.