CSS and HTML Simple Questions Please help

netuser

Hi

This is my first post:)#

Please Answer my question and help me out.

Why is it necessary to upload a PHP web page to a web server and view the
results using an HTTP connection rather than simply double-click on a the file
to preview the web page?

1b. What advice would you give to web developers testing their pages? Explain
using examples why your advice is important.

1c. At one time, web designers were encouraged to use the “web safe palette”
when planning their pages. Explain what the web safe palette is and whether
it is still necessary. You should give reasons for your answer.

1d. Should web designers opt for a fixed size design or a fluid layout? Give
reasons for your answer.

BiG ThAnK YoU​

ScottH2155

Why is it necessary to upload a PHP web page to a web server and view the
results using an HTTP connection rather than simply double-click on a the file
to preview the web page?

A php page is dynamic in the sense that it needs to communicate via a back-end server to display itself. So you can't "preview" it as it's not just HTML to cough up in a browser locally.
Do some searching - easyphp is a product that you install on your local machine and you can preview locally rather than make a coffee while you FTP the site up to a server.
If you have a web page with a php extension but no components calling for a server, then it will display locally OK.

1b. What advice would you give to web developers testing their pages? Explain
using examples why your advice is important.

I feel like I'm back at school with your exam like question....

Test using a structured plan (document or even an e-mail checklist). Else you just bang around the site thinking you have tested. Always have a person disassociated with the design test to provide untainted feedback. I'm not "quoting using examples" as my advice is just that, advice.

You also have to determine and think through what it is that you are testing?

- design layout
- content
- standards
- server interaction components (not forgetting destructive testing)
- speed/sizes
- multibrowser
- end usability testing

- all of the above

1c. At one time, web designers were encouraged to use the “web safe palette”
when planning their pages. Explain what the web safe palette is and whether
it is still necessary. You should give reasons for your answer.

You can google for the "what it is".
It's still a valid tool for the basics of understanding colour and how they work on the web. Depending on your background and skills - this is a good thing to learn and understand.
"is it necessary" - no, not in a "only use web safe colours" sense, however, once you have researched the websafe palette you will understand why it's used and then can understand what you need to consider, test and do for using other colours in your designs.

Hope this helps you out....Scott.

itHighway

After going through your post, I felt like I am sitting in a examination hall.

1- I guess, if you double click a php page, it will not open in browser and even if it does it will not execute the php script in it.

The reason php page needs to be uploaded to web server is, when a php page is executed (through web server), system sends PHP scripts to server to generate its html. This html is then sent to browser to process.

PHP, ASP, ASP.Net scripts are executed on server.
HTML, Javascript are executed by your browser.

netuser

function and format of an IP address

a. Describe the function and format of an IP address and default subnet mask for class A, B and C networks.

hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp please​

dml

CIW course?

Hi netuser,

Am I right in assuming that you are on a CIW course?

ipv4 addresses are in the format 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 or 4 groups of 8bit values to make up a 32 bit address or 2 to the power 32 possible address variations (in theory).
ipv6 uses 8 groups of 4 hexadecimal values to achieve 2 to the power 128 possible address variations (in theory).
The funstion of an ip address is to provide an address on a network to and from which information can flow.
ipv4 does not contain sufficient variations of ip address to support the number of users on the world wide web.

default subnet masks are used to help define users within a domain so:
255.255.255.0 laid over
192.128.0.1 (typical localhost)
gives
xxx.xxx.xxx.1
so traffic is kept within the potential 255 users within that domain
allows a greater spread of information
exponentially larger network domain.

I'm not 100% on A B and C networks but I would gues that A and B networks are public and or private organisation networks : home through university
I think that C is for ISP's I also think that there are ranges that are reserved for specifi governmental, military and ISP use.

This is a rough guide. I would wikipedia this info and look at some of the RFC docs on each of the specific subjects.

Regards

Dave

dml

CIW course?

Hi netuser,

Am I right in assuming that you are on a CIW course?

ipv4 addresses are in the format 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 or 4 groups of 8bit values to make up a 32 bit address or 2 to the power 32 possible address variations (in theory).
ipv6 uses 8 groups of 4 hexadecimal values to achieve 2 to the power 128 possible address variations (in theory).
The function of an ip address is to provide an address on a network to and from which information can flow.
ipv4 does not contain sufficient variations of ip address to support the number of users on the world wide web.

default subnet masks are used to help define users within a domain so:
255.255.255.0 laid over
192.128.0.1 (typical localhost)
gives
xxx.xxx.xxx.1
so traffic is kept within the potential 255 users within that domain
allows a greater spread of information
exponentially larger network domain.

I'm not 100% on A B and C networks but I would gues that A and B networks are public and or private organisation networks : home through university
I think that C is for ISP's I also think that there are ranges that are reserved for specifi governmental, military and ISP use.

This is a rough guide. I would wikipedia this info and look at some of the RFC docs on each of the specific subjects.

Regards

Dave

netuser

Thank you dml, useful information, has any one used Cisco Packet Tracer 3.2,

Design and simulate (working in simple mode) a local area network scenario in which a private class B network address of your own choice is subnetted to create 8 subnets. Your report should describe your choice of IP address and subnet mask and explain the span of IP addresses in each of the subnets. Use the filename class.pkt.
Again, as in previous cases, show two PCs connected to each switch, one representing the first host and one representing the last theoretical host on each subnet.