Criteria for Critique

Jamesbutler

I got a critique on this forum not too long ago and I was just curious what criteria people use while doing critiques.

Do most people look at the source code? Do you look at just design? Do you look at the relationship between flash objects and other elements on the page?

Just kind of curious as to what approaches everyone else used.

Thanks.

StephanieCordray

I think we all have different criteria according to what's important to us. Myself, I don't look at choice of colors, etc... those are aesthetic and personal choices. While aesthetics can be rather important it's more in the realm of how colors are put together to make the whole rather than what colors are used. Nor do I really look at graphical content except as to whether it fits a particular site's area of interest.

I look for informative content and usability. If I can't tell what a site is about from the main page then it needs some work on content. If I can't get around the site well and learn anything new, then it needs some work on usability. Likewise if I can't read links because they are too small or too cute to be legible. If a page can grab my eyes without overpowering them with so much stuff the content is lost, I consider it a job well done. The rest is up for grabs.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I just look at things from the point of view of a potential visitor/customer.
I comment on things that I believe would stop me from looking into further content on the site, becoming a long term visitor to the site or factors which would sway my decision not to purchase from that site.

RAJO

i agree wit u all
+ did the site is 2 navigate or not
did i get the info i need in easy and quick way or not?

Jamesbutler

Thanks for the replies. I was mostly curious because I wanted to know if coding played an important role in most people's critiques or not. Mostly for my own curiousity.

SiteExpress

In a way, coding plays a very large part. However, all of the fancy coding in the world will go unnoticed, if the site does not have good appearance and functionality.

You have to view a website through the eyes of the visitor. We are among the slim minority that has any idea what goes into a website. 99.99% of the population that will surf the net will have no idea what it took to add a form or make a page fit any display properly. All they care about is what the site looks like, and if they can find what they are looking for.