creating a page clients can edit

ckacreative

I'm trying to design a website for a friend who doesn't know much about web design - but she wants me to layout the site and then she wants to be able to update it with just text and pictures (it's a personal website for her far away friends and family to view) - leaving the basic design alone.

How do I design something that she can go in and change pictures in a photo gallery and text on a journal-like page? Do I need a special program or server or host to do this?

StephanieCordray

Well, i would suggest two php applications, a journal/blogging tool and a photo gallery.
There are quite a few different types of each so a net search might be handy to find the best ones for your client. I'm currently using v4bJournal on one of my sites and it does well unless you want to allow nonowner comments.

As far as a photogallery, I think there will be some good suggestions come along about that. I don't care for the one I'm using, although it works well as a stand alone application. I need one that will work better as a module.

As far as hosting, any service that offers mySQL databases will work. You'll need two databases, one for each application.