Crawling

Winterchase

When the biggies go crawling the web, I understand they look in websites for links and things like signing guests books and forums where the URL is shown (in a signature), but do they also pick up the URL on e-mails?

Where else might they be looking?

Also, and I'm not sure if this is legal, but someone I know, to get the pages higher up on the food chain, suggested exchanging links by putting a dot way down on the page, and in the same color as the background so it won't show and would be highly unlikely someone would roll over it. What's your read on doing that? Doesn't sound right to me.

StephanieCordray

that's actually "illegal." if you get caught search engines will penalize you... however... this past year the search engines have really been lax about what they are doing so you might or might not get away with it. it took 6 months to get indexed by google even with google ads on the site.. for one of my sites... this forum still isn't on google as far as i can tell but i'd ask the owner about that because i haven't checked with him about it in awhile... but it shows no page rank in the google bar and i know ian is good at search engine optimization among other things.

SiteExpress

Be very careful about trying to fool the crawlers. getting away with it will probably be short lived, and the results of getting caught will be costly. It took my primary site over 6 months to get a page rank, and many of my inbound links are not seen by Google. the key is good content and patience. if you have enough good content and continue to add more of it as you go, you will be better off than trying to fool them

Winterchase

Thanks

When that was proposed, yeah, it smelled funny, which is why I turned to you guys.

In my business I don't believe a web page, much less a home page like I have, will produce any "business," and besides, cheating never gets you anything but trouble.

So, thanks, guys. I appreciate your being here.

Winterchase

I've now changed it from, "... someone I know...," to, "... someone I knew."

Anyway, is it legal to, say, put "LINKS" on your site, have that go to a new page and there list exchanged links? Would it serve any good purpose?