Cost etc

StephanieCordray

Carl, that's a loaded question. A lot of considerations go into making a website.

First you would have to define what you mean by decent, then you need to be able to explain what you want your website to do functionally rather than how it looks. Will it be a simple website with just a few pages to explain who you are, your company, and services, your contact information. Would you need to showcase a lot of images for products? Do you wish to sell products online? Give as much as information about your online plans as possible. Plus if you have this written down you can compare various proposals against your wishes to begin a process of elimination of those who won't suit. Don't expect a web designer to know intuitively what you want. You will be disappointed more often than not.

Always asked for proposals and it's no crime to ask for proposals from more than one designer at a time. Companies do it all the time in other services or goods bids. The potential web designer needs to know you or your company well enough to be able to do a creditable proposal. This is knowledge you can provide from the stage of defining your needs.

Request a sample contract with explanations of the various parts. Designers who don't work under contract can be an iffy partnership. Not all, certainly, will take your money and run but it happens often enough that I'd beware of any who work without one as it protects both the buyer and the seller of services.

And we haven't even gotten to the aesthetics of graphical looks.

I'm sure our other webmasters can think of a thousand more things to add to this long list, so I'll stop here and let them have their chance to add to it.

SiteHostCity

It really depends. There are several factors that determine the cost of your site:
size, complexity, function, security and content. Those are just a few.

If your site is a 3-5 page pictures and text with nothing special except the need to make it look nice, you can probably expect to spend no less that $250 and maybe no more than $750 depending on the skillset of the person who does it.

Don't quote me though, but I think I'm right.