Converting site to a mobile app?

cgl102770

There's lots of websites that relatively easily convert sites to mobile versions, but most of these mobile conversions are not downloadable as apps. Does anyone know of a service that will let the user not only convert ones site to a mobile version, but also a version that is a downloadable app? Thank you for any info!

BradT81

I would suggest using html5 with css media queries. This will help you make your site responsive to different devices and screen sizes. Do a little research on it.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest using html5 with css media queries. This will help you make your site responsive to different devices and screen sizes. Do a little research on it.

you should be doing this anyway, and then push it to phone gap when your done.
(he does afterall want an app - not just a mobile site)

Frank

you should be doing this anyway, and then push it to phone gap when your done.
(he does afterall want an app - not just a mobile site)
Hey Phreaddee,

I am about to make my first offline app as well. The online app, http://tiny.cc/appuzs, is simply a webpage (specific javascript calculator) with a content width and a viewport of 300 px. But my clients will probably want an offline version as well, as they are to use it several times a day.

Do you have any experience with Adobe Phone Gap? Is it really as simple as pushing the webpage onto the program, and it will output all the necessary platform-adjusted apps (iOS, Android and Windows)?

Last edited:

Edge

Apps

I've got 47 apps I've downloaded onto my iPhone - I use 10 of them and only about 5 of them regularly. the ones I use are incredibly well designed feature rich apps which I mostly use for lifestyle things such as cinema, amazon, weather, alarm clock etc. There's a couple in there that are useful for business too.

So ask yourself the question: is the app you develop going to be so amazingly useful on a daily basis that it's actually going to be worth the trouble of someone downloading it despite the actual site already being mobile friendly? And then will it get used? If it is - cool.