Computer hardware question - 3 monitors

Coffee Freak

I have an older Dell Optiplex 330 machine as my design PC. I'm upgrading as much as I can to avoid having to buy a new machine. I already ordered 4 gigs of RAM (maxs it out) and am now looking into a new video card. I want to be able to run 3 monitors (I already have 3 - 17" monitors on hand, so I want to just connect them up as an extended desktop).

There is SO much information out there and most of it is in gamer GeekSpeak. Honestly, I'm a geek to a point, but this stuff is WAY over my head. I don't ever plan on gaming with this computer, so I don't need to over kill it. I just want something that will render graphics easily (Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, etc) and handle multiple windows open with multiple programs.

ANyone with a hardware background give me some advice (that I can understand!)?

Looks like most of the video cards that handle 3 monitors are big gamer stuff that require over 450 watt power supply. Mine is 305 watt. I can upgrade it (I used to work as a PC Tech at Best Buy in the late 90's) if I need to, but I'd rather run what it has since it's MEGA quiet.

DHDdirect

I know you don't want to hear it but you can spend 600 to 1000 bucks on a new machine with so much more capability that you'd ever get with upgrading your old machine. The key of course building it yourself. If you are from the States the Newegg.com is your best bet. If you are from Australia then either MSY or PCgearcase.com is your best bet for prices.

Not only will you have more cores and threads in your processor, you'll have higher bus speed and more cache. The Sandy Bridge processors have decent built in graphics and with a Z68 motherboard you can take advantage of both the graphics and overclocking. If you wait another 6 months you can get the latest and greatest Ivy bridge which will have more capability and better built-in graphics.

So that's just the processor, then a new motherboard will allow the latest tech and stuff your board doesn't have now such as more PCI-e lanes, and thoughs lanes being PCI 2 or even 3, USB3, onbaord RAID, SATA3, and not to mention 32GB of ram.

This all equals faster everything where as if you upgrade your current PC, you may or may not see much of a difference.

I know that doesn't make your decision any better but I hope that helps. :)

Coffee Freak

It does help. Probably in 6 months, I'll be in a better financial position and able to afford a much better PC (or Mac!). For now, I just have to live with the equipment I have and upgrade it as I can. The RAM upgrade will also help one of our other computers since I'll be pulling the 1 gig chip from this PC to replace it with 2-2gig chips and placing the 1 gig in the other computer to double it's RAM. Two PC's upgraded for $55. On top of that, I can write off the $55 as a business expense.