Completely new to web design, some tips?

MWMNJ

Hi guys,

I am completely new to web design. I have decided the best way to get good is just go ahead and try and make a website! My idea for the website is going to be a very simple youtube type site with specific videos. the only software i am using now is notepad. will that work? I am also stuck and can't find out how i add a certain feature i am looking for. basically just a side link bar to other categories within the web site. anyone have advice on the best way to go about doing this? thanks!

craftygeek

I think you might be trying to run a little too quick before you can walk.

A side bar - is just a container with links inside it, ie a menu....so I'm not really sure what you're asking.

aracaris

I agree you are trying to run before you can walk, sites like YoutTube are definitely not simple, very far from it.
I definitely recommend picking up some books to start learning. Head First HTML and CSS is a good one since you are just starting.
Do a Google search too, and I'm sure plenty of HTML starter guides will show up as well.

MWMNJ

I do have a bit of experience with html and css. An example of what i am looking for is here: http://www.yahoo.com see the list on the left side of the page (yahoo mail, autos, facebook, finance, games, etc.) They all lead to a different area of the website when you click each one. Is a link menu like this able to be created using just html codes or is this achieved using some other programming method? thanks

leroy30

download Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 its abslutely free (not a trial) by mircrosoft - https://www.dreamspark.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=2

Start by using the visual designer to create a web page and have a look at the code behind to see what HTML is created.

Search google for some simple HTML tutorials because your going to need to learn from scratch.
HTML is what web pages are scripted in. Many programs are available to help you visually edit a page just like a document in microsoft word for instance but the underlying structure is always html (well, for now just pretend there's only html).

For your menu you could have something like:

<ul>
<li><a href="page1.html">Click here to go to Page 1</a></li>
<li><a href="page2.html">Click here to go to Page 2</a></li>
<li><a href="page3.html">Click here to go to Page 3</a></li>
</ul>

But that is of course the most basic example on the entire web.

<ul> starts an unordered list (think bullet points)
<li> makes a new item in the list. Anything inside the <li> and </li> tags will be the item
<a href=""></a> this is a hyperlink. href is the destination webpage (locally = page1.html, external = www.dvigraphics.co.nz). Anything betweem the opening <a href...> tag and the closing </a> tag will therefore be a link to another web page.

Here's your starting point! Go make yourself a website and bring it back for suggestions ;o)

Good Luck!

jemountfort

if you dont want to pay for a program, search for notepad ++, its actually quite good. For your menu effects you will be learning javascript / jquery.

hunterjordan

Hi guys,

I am completely new to web design. I have decided the best way to get good is just go ahead and try and make a website! My idea for the website is going to be a very simple youtube type site with specific videos. the only software i am using now is notepad. will that work? I am also stuck and can't find out how i add a certain feature i am looking for. basically just a side link bar to other categories within the web site. anyone have advice on the best way to go about doing this? thanks!

Hi,

If you really need to make a website, then hiring a web developer would be good suggestion for you in recent situation.