Completely new to PHP. Help, please?

naynay447

I bought Head First PHP and MySQL. I Understand programming and the language and blah blah blah, but I am having problems understanding exactly how you make it work! I downloaded apache, PHP5, and the MySQL things that they said to download. Now, how on Earth do I make these things work??? They say upload the files to apache. I don't see how. I went to the configure page of my apache and found the webroot. I put my files in there...still won't work. Do I need to configure my PHP5 into my apache? How do you upload to apache? ANY help is greatly appreciated!

btw...I set it up for localhost for learning purposes.

DHDdirect

I would look into using either XAMPP, WAMP (if you are usnig windows OS), or MAMP (if using Mac OS). They provide an easy setup of Apache, PHP, and MySQL in one package.

DHDdirect

You are welcome.

I personally use XAMPP but others swear by WAMP.. I use a portable version of XAMPP that I got at portableapps.com. It's a very nice website that has portable version of applications that can be run via a usb drive or stick.

naynay447

ok...I was doing very good. PHP was working great. Got to the section of my book where MySQL comes in, and I can't start MySQL in the control panel.

"busy...
ERROR MySQL service not started [-1]"

any ideas?

DHDdirect

Is this error generated via the XAMPP control panel? I haven't seen it before. You may have better luck at the XAMPP forums for an answer.

try using xampp.. once you install it on your pc, all you have to do is get the apache and mysql running and you can easily access your localhost..