Compatability issues with IE? Options??

onlinegamesnz

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a template online and altered to meet my needs, however, i find that the rendering in IE is completely wrong, so can only be viewed correctly in safari, firefox etc?

are there alternative options for me here? Ive spent a while make the changes so would prefer not to start again

Thanks!

uscseth

When you say IE doesn't work, you need to be specific. IMO, never try to make IE6 work anymore, less than 2% of people still use it. IE7 is non-compliance centric so it can be a pain in the butt to make work. Make sure that all of your elements are properly closed out, there are page returns where there should be, and the like. IE7 is very picky and in my opinion the hardest browser to make "look right". IE8 and IE9 are about the same... download a program called "IETESTER" and it lets you test your website in all versions of IE via a single program.

Janja

Where did you purchase the template from? They might have an update that includes IE compatability....
If not, can you post a link to your site? I think, there are plenty of people here who can help you modify your css to work with a conditional style sheet in IE too.

leroy30

Hi onlinegamesnz. Don't see many fellow kiwis on here!

I don't mean to sound rude but are you sure you want to setup this hosting website yourself? Given the type of business it looks like you are starting then you might want to be somewhat of a web guru or have enough money to employ others to fulfill that role. Well, that's my himble opinion anyway.

Anyhow your problem is that your menu is written with HTML 5 cufon, cufoncanvas and cufontext elements. IE9 doesn't seem to support these elements which doesn't surprise me as IE 9 is furthest behind the other browsers in terms of HTML 5.

Your best bet is to remove that menu and make a standard <ul><li><a></a></li></ul> menu.

Good luck!

Le-roy

onlinegamesnz

Thanks for your reply.

I am setting all this up for the experiance. I have been doing alot of work with server 2008 lately. This is just for learning purposes and deploying IIS7, FTP and setting up DNS, mail servers etc etc. I might not even run paid services and just host a few sites for free and see how things go.

I wouldnt mind however having IE capability with my site.

Thanks