• is BETTER than the other websites listed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • is NOT better than the other websites listed

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingkhan

Hi everyone,

My name's Hasan and i'v just completed a design (and also implemented it) for my client...
however the feedback they have given hasnt been great...

this is the website that i have created for them..study direct college leeds

and these are the sites that they like and want their site to look like..

leeds central college
leeds professional college
global vision college manchester

I can change the site no problem, however i feel that my design of studydirectcollege looks better that the sites that i have been given to look at....

please take a look and tell me which site you prefer and what studydirectcollege lacks?

i will use this information to update my client and backup what i think and say..

thankyou

Hasan

kayla

What feedback have they given you? Keep in mind that they're the client, so don't keep going back to them and saying "Your site is better than those because..." or "I've had people agree with me that the site I designed is better". In the end, what they want is what they should get.

I think the one you designed looks childish, but only because of the brick-like-things at the top. It would look great as a daycare website or something, but I don't feel it looks professional enough for a college. The site actually does look very nice, and although I don't know anything about your client I don't feel it's a good website for a college.

I'm also not a fan of the font you've chosen. It looks really choppy in some places.

d a v e

you have this before your dtd

the grey background is too grey and plain

the logo is hard to scan: looks like "Stu Dire ..." :) and is soft to the poitn fo being almost blurred (maybe resized without sharpening?? and can't read small text in it

I don't lioke that font choice for bosy copy - for headings, yes but it's too tight, vertical and hard to read for large amounts of text. also it could be nearer to #333 for legibility

the news scroller is distracting too - would rather have a scroller the user could choose to scroll

i find the red a little bit in your face and unfortunately along with the logo it's the (mostly)primary colours from children's toys or felt tip pens - i would lose the red dividers below the images and above the headlines - too many lines

the large "widescreen" images could be a touch deeper (increase the height a little)

out of the four it's hard to say which i like best
Leeds Central is nice and clean and professional but looks like a bank site
Global vision is nice but looks like a business site
leeds professional is probably my favourite

i'm not sure whether yours suits the kind of students you're trying to attract - is the logo something that could be changed or not?

but that font (whilst fine for the menu) has to be replaced by something nicer and easier to read for the main copy

kingkhan

Hi Kayla and Dave,

Thankyou for your feedback...

Kayla... The Logo was given to me like this....and i tried to mould the website around this logo trying to keep to the branding....maybe i went overboard?.....but i thought big and bold is eye-catching.....and seeing as they had a logo like that, i thought and was compensating for the lack of content that i was given...
I completely agree with you in regards to font choice....and was looking at alternative choices on the googlefonts page, is there one that you can recommend?

Dave..
"you have this before your dtd
"

havent got a clue what this is? maybe something to do with the doctype??

will definately assess my design reading your feedbacks...
thanx guys..

Regards,

Hasan

d a v e

well it's their when i view source
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

d a v e

maybe something like this
single background colour with noise filter
bit more white space

calibri as main font
leeds.jpg

helloworld

I'd adjust some image cropping and swap out that news ticker for something newer..
Also, your subnav needs padding and font color adjustments.
The slogan under the logo is really difficult to read.
All very minor changes... Nice job!