College Degree for Web Designer?

ManBearWaffle

I'm a 16 year old freelance web designer, and I'm going to be applying to college in the next month or so. I want to continue freelancing as my career, but on a larger scale. I planned on going to college for a bachelors in Web Design, but my friend's dad, who does web design for a living, recommended that I get a degree in computer science and a degree in project management instead. What are the pros and cons of doing this? What do you recommend for me?

markyoung

I would personally recommend you get a college degree. You need to understand that a college degree will enhance your qualification and also help you find a respectable job someday, if you plan to look for one. Freelancing as a web designer is a good choice, but this can be done while getting your college degree. I would recommend you check out CollegeAmerica’s website for computer science degrees. The college offers fast track degree programs that allow you to complete your degree within 36 months. This will allow you to keep up with your freelancing passion while earning a degree.

leofe

I'd go with what your friends dad said, if hes been there and done it, chances are he knows best!

In an environment where it seems that anyone can purchase a piece of software at an office supply store and get a Web site running in a few minutes, what role do professional Web designers play? In reality, Web designers have been growing their skills and their earning capacity by solving problems for employers and clients. A degree in Web design can help an ambitious artist learn the nuances of building Web sites that work well instead of tolerating virtual placeholders that turn away customers

JMeZigns

I planned on going to college for a bachelors in Web Design, but my friend's dad, who does web design for a living, recommended that I get a degree in computer science and a degree in project management instead. What are the pros and cons of doing this? What do you recommend for me?

I would recommend getting at least an AS in Web Design and then perhaps the BS in Comp. Sci. or Web Development. Which one you choose would depend on whether you plan to get into, and stay in, the Web field or you would rather have a more specialized programming background. Having an AS in Web Design would greatly compliment a BS in Web Development.

I think it is fantastic that you are thinking about getting a degree in the field. Especially at 16! You seem to have a very concrete plan for your future and will succeed in whichever path you choose. Good Luck!

cchildr

Def get the degree in computer science, and you can get a minor in web design/graphic design or get some additional certs. Most jobs I've applied for have required my bachelor's degree (some even ask for a masters...so keep that in mind) in Graphic Design or a "related" field (computer science will relate to almost everything in our field...).

ishie

How about taking up Multimedia Arts as a course. It's an encompassing degree and you'll not only be confined to web design lessons. You'll also learn how to do some graphic design, programming, etc.